Jun 28, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Dan Gavitt, the son of late Big East founder Dave Gavitt, has been hired by the NCAA to become the vice president in charge of the annual men’s basketball tournament, ESPN.com is reporting.
Gavitt has spent the past seven years as the associate commissioner for men’s basketball at the Big East conference.
“It is great for Dan, for the NCAA and college basketball,” former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese told ESPN. “He is really excited about it. The basketball committee wanted someone with strong basketball ties, and he is the right person.”
Gavitt is reportedly one of three upcoming hires for the NCAA, with the organization also hiring someone to oversee the women’s NCAA tournament and another to control commercial marketing.
Katz is reporting that Gavitt’s hire is expected to be warmly received.
Before coming to the Big East, Gavitt worked as the athletic director at Bryant University.
He leaves a Big East conference that is still searching for a full-time commissioner to replace John Marinatto, who stepped down in May.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)