Jun 28, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Dan Gavitt, the son of late Big East founder Dave Gavitt, has been hired by the NCAA to become the vice president in charge of the annual men’s basketball tournament, ESPN.com is reporting.
Gavitt has spent the past seven years as the associate commissioner for men’s basketball at the Big East conference.
“It is great for Dan, for the NCAA and college basketball,” former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese told ESPN. “He is really excited about it. The basketball committee wanted someone with strong basketball ties, and he is the right person.”
Gavitt is reportedly one of three upcoming hires for the NCAA, with the organization also hiring someone to oversee the women’s NCAA tournament and another to control commercial marketing.
Katz is reporting that Gavitt’s hire is expected to be warmly received.
Before coming to the Big East, Gavitt worked as the athletic director at Bryant University.
He leaves a Big East conference that is still searching for a full-time commissioner to replace John Marinatto, who stepped down in May.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)