Jun 28, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Dan Gavitt, the son of late Big East founder Dave Gavitt, has been hired by the NCAA to become the vice president in charge of the annual men’s basketball tournament, ESPN.com is reporting.
Gavitt has spent the past seven years as the associate commissioner for men’s basketball at the Big East conference.
“It is great for Dan, for the NCAA and college basketball,” former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese told ESPN. “He is really excited about it. The basketball committee wanted someone with strong basketball ties, and he is the right person.”
Gavitt is reportedly one of three upcoming hires for the NCAA, with the organization also hiring someone to oversee the women’s NCAA tournament and another to control commercial marketing.
Katz is reporting that Gavitt’s hire is expected to be warmly received.
Before coming to the Big East, Gavitt worked as the athletic director at Bryant University.
He leaves a Big East conference that is still searching for a full-time commissioner to replace John Marinatto, who stepped down in May.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1