Jun 28, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Dan Gavitt, the son of late Big East founder Dave Gavitt, has been hired by the NCAA to become the vice president in charge of the annual men’s basketball tournament, ESPN.com is reporting.
Gavitt has spent the past seven years as the associate commissioner for men’s basketball at the Big East conference.
“It is great for Dan, for the NCAA and college basketball,” former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese told ESPN. “He is really excited about it. The basketball committee wanted someone with strong basketball ties, and he is the right person.”
Gavitt is reportedly one of three upcoming hires for the NCAA, with the organization also hiring someone to oversee the women’s NCAA tournament and another to control commercial marketing.
Katz is reporting that Gavitt’s hire is expected to be warmly received.
Before coming to the Big East, Gavitt worked as the athletic director at Bryant University.
He leaves a Big East conference that is still searching for a full-time commissioner to replace John Marinatto, who stepped down in May.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4