Jun 28, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Dan Gavitt, the son of late Big East founder Dave Gavitt, has been hired by the NCAA to become the vice president in charge of the annual men’s basketball tournament, ESPN.com is reporting.
Gavitt has spent the past seven years as the associate commissioner for men’s basketball at the Big East conference.
“It is great for Dan, for the NCAA and college basketball,” former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese told ESPN. “He is really excited about it. The basketball committee wanted someone with strong basketball ties, and he is the right person.”
Gavitt is reportedly one of three upcoming hires for the NCAA, with the organization also hiring someone to oversee the women’s NCAA tournament and another to control commercial marketing.
Katz is reporting that Gavitt’s hire is expected to be warmly received.
Before coming to the Big East, Gavitt worked as the athletic director at Bryant University.
He leaves a Big East conference that is still searching for a full-time commissioner to replace John Marinatto, who stepped down in May.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can Green Bay take the next step, represent the Horizon League in the Tournament? 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)