Jun 28, 2012, 4:08 PM EDT
Jim Whitesell, an Iowa native who has served under Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus for one season, has been promoted to associate head coach, the school confirmed Thursday.
“He’s extraordinarily committed,” Majerus told STLToday.com. “He’d make me go to bed after a game and when I woke up, he’d have a tape made and 20 bullet points to look at and address. It got to a point, I wouldn’t look at them ahead of time because I wanted to do my own work and compare.
“He’s dedicated, a good coach, the players respect him, he’s a balance to me,” Majerus continued. “We’re a good team together. He’s an exceptionally hard worker. He loves it. He considers it honor and privilege (to coach) like I do. He loves the challenge, loves the chase.”
Whitesell worked primarily with post players this past season with the Billikens, but now becomes Majerus’ clear second-in-command and someone who can make an impact in recruiting.
“He’s the top assistant coach, that’s definitive,” Majerus said. “He’s the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the special team guy, the sideline outs. Not to detract from (Jim) Crews or Tanner (Bronson), Jim has got total responsibility for every aspect of the program. Others have aspects for specific parts.”
The Billikens finished 26-8 last season, including 12-4 in the A-10 and advanced to the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament.
Prior to his time at Saint Louis, Whitesell coached at Loyola Chicago, Lewis (Ill.) College, and Elmhurst (Ill.) College.
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Maryland transfer eligible this season at Georgia Tech (3)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)
- Newspaper apologizes for its illustration of Kentucky head coach John Calipari (2)