Jun 29, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Texas Tech announced on Friday morning the hiring of assistant coach Jeremy Cox, completing Billy Gillispie’s staff for the 2012-13 season.
This is the third time that Cox has been a member of Gillispie’s staff, having been an assistant at both Texas A&M and Kentucky under the Gillispie.
“We had a great time when we worked together at Kentucky and Texas A&M. We have known each other for a long time and have a level of comfort with each other,” said Gillispie in a statement released by the school. “He has already come in and made an immediate impact and a seamless transition.
“We look forward to the impact that he can make with our basketball program. He is a great recruiter as well. He is a nation champion coach and a proven winner with an old fashioned work ethic.”
Last season Cox was an assistant under Doc Sadler at Nebraska, who is now the director of basketball operations at Kansas after his dismissal.
Cox has eight seasons of head coaching experience at the junior college level, which includes a national title at Arkansas-Fort Smith in 2006.
And given how much work is required to rebuild the Texas Tech program, those junior college connections will likely be utilized on the recruiting trail in the future.
Cameron Forte (Northern Arizona), DeShon Minnis (Rhode Island), Jaron Nash (North Dakota), Terran Petteway (Nebraska), Kevin Wagner (McClellan JC) and Javarez Willis (Ohio) all decided to leave the program at the end of the season.
The Red Raiders do bring in a large 2012 class however, led by the Lamar (TX) Consolidated tandem of forwards Wannah Bail and Michael Carey and Houston point guard Josh Gray.
“I am really excited to be back with coach in a situation that has so much potential,” said Cox in a statement. “There is so much momentum coming in with the recruiting class, the excitement of having (Gillispie) here and all the possibilities that Texas Tech has to offer, making this a tremendous opportunity for all of us.”
Photo credit: Texas Tech Athletics
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)