Jun 29, 2012, 11:16 AM EST
Tyler Zeller, Cleveland (via Dallas): Zeller dropped all the way to the 17th, meaning that the Mavericks were able to scoop up the former UNC big man and flip him for three picks in the top 34. (The Mavs ended up getting Bernard James, Jae Crowder and Jared Cunningman, keep that in mind.) I honestly believe that Zeller will have the best professional career of any of UNC’s four top 17 picks. He’s a legitimate seven-footer with post moves, athleticism and the ability to defend the rim, rebound and run the floor. He’s not exactly great at anything, but there is so much that he is good at. I think he’ll end up having a 12 year career where he averaged 12 points and nine boards and makes an all-star team or two.
Jared Cunningham, Dallas (via Cleveland): Cunningham is a sensational athlete and an even better defender. He’ll be able to lock up points guards and shooting guards at one end while making Sportscenter more than a couple times at the other end. He needs to continue to develop his ability to penetrate, handle the ball and shoot, but that will come with time. The bottom line is that Cunningham has an NBA ready skill (his perimeter defense) that he does as well or better than anyone in this draft class.
Arnett Moultrie, Philadelphia (via Miami): Moultrie is big, he’s strong, he’s athletic and he knows how to rebound the ball. He’ll never be a star at this level, and he may never be a starter, but if he can consistently provide effort, he’ll be able to carve out a career as a big man in the NBA.
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 1
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)