Jun 29, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT
Tyler Zeller, Cleveland (via Dallas): Zeller dropped all the way to the 17th, meaning that the Mavericks were able to scoop up the former UNC big man and flip him for three picks in the top 34. (The Mavs ended up getting Bernard James, Jae Crowder and Jared Cunningman, keep that in mind.) I honestly believe that Zeller will have the best professional career of any of UNC’s four top 17 picks. He’s a legitimate seven-footer with post moves, athleticism and the ability to defend the rim, rebound and run the floor. He’s not exactly great at anything, but there is so much that he is good at. I think he’ll end up having a 12 year career where he averaged 12 points and nine boards and makes an all-star team or two.
Jared Cunningham, Dallas (via Cleveland): Cunningham is a sensational athlete and an even better defender. He’ll be able to lock up points guards and shooting guards at one end while making Sportscenter more than a couple times at the other end. He needs to continue to develop his ability to penetrate, handle the ball and shoot, but that will come with time. The bottom line is that Cunningham has an NBA ready skill (his perimeter defense) that he does as well or better than anyone in this draft class.
Arnett Moultrie, Philadelphia (via Miami): Moultrie is big, he’s strong, he’s athletic and he knows how to rebound the ball. He’ll never be a star at this level, and he may never be a starter, but if he can consistently provide effort, he’ll be able to carve out a career as a big man in the NBA.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 1
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)