Jun 30, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
A Kansas City-area man charged in a large-scale drug ring allegedly supplied marijuana to some members of the 2010-11 Kansas Jayhawks men’s basketball team, according to a federal prosecutor.
The report from the Kansas City Star, published Friday, says that Samuel Villeareal III, 32, is one of 25 defendants charged in U.S. District Court with conspiring to sell marijuana, as much as 1,000 kilograms over a four-year period.
According to Assistant U.S. Attorney Terra Morehead, a seized cell phone is the link between Villeareal and the Kansas basketball team.
““We know that because of the text messages we obtained from the iPhone and also from surveillance that was done throughout this investigation of Mr. Villeareal,” Morehead said, according to a transcript that was reported by the Star.
Morehead said the phone became “a key component to this entire investigation.”
The investigation also hinges on observations of Villeareal’s actions made by agents investigating the case.
“At one occasion, law enforcement had Mr. Villeareal this basketball season at the Sprint Center sitting behind the KU basketball bench with a number of the players,” Morehead is quoted as saying. “So we know that he had probably not only a personal relationship with them but a professional relationship as well.”
The 2010-11 Jayhawks won the Big 12, finishing 35-3 and advancing to the Elite Eight, before losing to Virginia Commonwealth.
To read the full report from the Star, click here.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)