Jul 1, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
With the NCAA allowing coaches to work with their players during the summer teams throughout the country stand to benefit once practice begins in October.
That’s just one positive for new College of Charleston head coach Doug Wojcik, who will also take his team on a tour of Canada in early August.
For a team that has to make up for the loss of leading scorer Antwaine Wiggins in addition to becoming more familiar with a new head coach, the ten extra practices and three exhibitions could prove to be invaluable.
“This is a great opportunity for our new staff and team to develop chemistry prior to the season,” said Wojcik in a statement released by the school. “Our players have been here all summer working, training, practicing and going to school.
“This trip will allow us to be in a good place heading into the fall semester with the majority of the team back in addition to our four newcomers on the squad.”
While Wiggins moves on guard Andrew Lawrence (13.0 ppg, 5.5 apg) and forward Trent Wiedeman (12.1 ppg, 8.7 rpg) return, and sophomore Adjehi Baru (7.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg) has the ability to be an All-SoCon player down the line.
The trip also allows the four newcomers, which includes juco transfer Anthony Thomas (who has the ability to slide right in for Wiggins), to get in some valuable game time with their new teammates.
With this extra time and the players returning to campus, College of Charleston is more than capable of using their August trip as a springboard into contentions in the Southern Conference in 2012-13.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)