Jul 1, 2012, 7:14 PM EST
With the NCAA allowing coaches to work with their players during the summer teams throughout the country stand to benefit once practice begins in October.
That’s just one positive for new College of Charleston head coach Doug Wojcik, who will also take his team on a tour of Canada in early August.
For a team that has to make up for the loss of leading scorer Antwaine Wiggins in addition to becoming more familiar with a new head coach, the ten extra practices and three exhibitions could prove to be invaluable.
“This is a great opportunity for our new staff and team to develop chemistry prior to the season,” said Wojcik in a statement released by the school. “Our players have been here all summer working, training, practicing and going to school.
“This trip will allow us to be in a good place heading into the fall semester with the majority of the team back in addition to our four newcomers on the squad.”
While Wiggins moves on guard Andrew Lawrence (13.0 ppg, 5.5 apg) and forward Trent Wiedeman (12.1 ppg, 8.7 rpg) return, and sophomore Adjehi Baru (7.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg) has the ability to be an All-SoCon player down the line.
The trip also allows the four newcomers, which includes juco transfer Anthony Thomas (who has the ability to slide right in for Wiggins), to get in some valuable game time with their new teammates.
With this extra time and the players returning to campus, College of Charleston is more than capable of using their August trip as a springboard into contentions in the Southern Conference in 2012-13.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)