Jul 1, 2012, 9:25 AM EST
The most sought-after transfer left on the market has found a home.
Former Mississippi State swingman Rodney Hood is headed to play for coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, Dave Telep of ESPN.com is reporting and multiple other outlets have confirmed.
“I feel like coach (Mike Krzyzewski) and the staff can get the most out of me as a player and academically,” Hood told ESPN. “I liked the teammates and felt like we have a good chance to compete for a championship.”
He chose Duke over Ohio State.
Hood, who left Mississippi State after the retirement of coach Rick Stansbury at the conclusion of the season, averaged 10.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his freshman year with the Bulldogs.
He will be eligible to play for Duke at the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
“He was pretty honest with me,” Hood went on to say. “He told me what he saw for my future. He was up front and he didn’t just tell me anything. He was specific and to the point. He said he can make me a better basketball player and one of the best in the country. His track record speaks for itself. I could tell he believed in me as a player.”
Once eligible, the 6-8, 204-pound Hood will be an asset in the Duke frontcourt, alongside a player of similar build, incoming freshman Amile Jefferson.
The Blue Devils finished 27-7 this past season, including 13-3 in the ACC. They lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Lehigh.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (5)