Jul 1, 2012, 9:25 AM EST
The most sought-after transfer left on the market has found a home.
Former Mississippi State swingman Rodney Hood is headed to play for coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, Dave Telep of ESPN.com is reporting and multiple other outlets have confirmed.
“I feel like coach (Mike Krzyzewski) and the staff can get the most out of me as a player and academically,” Hood told ESPN. “I liked the teammates and felt like we have a good chance to compete for a championship.”
He chose Duke over Ohio State.
Hood, who left Mississippi State after the retirement of coach Rick Stansbury at the conclusion of the season, averaged 10.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his freshman year with the Bulldogs.
He will be eligible to play for Duke at the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
“He was pretty honest with me,” Hood went on to say. “He told me what he saw for my future. He was up front and he didn’t just tell me anything. He was specific and to the point. He said he can make me a better basketball player and one of the best in the country. His track record speaks for itself. I could tell he believed in me as a player.”
Once eligible, the 6-8, 204-pound Hood will be an asset in the Duke frontcourt, alongside a player of similar build, incoming freshman Amile Jefferson.
The Blue Devils finished 27-7 this past season, including 13-3 in the ACC. They lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Lehigh.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)