Jul 1, 2012, 9:25 AM EST
The most sought-after transfer left on the market has found a home.
Former Mississippi State swingman Rodney Hood is headed to play for coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke, Dave Telep of ESPN.com is reporting and multiple other outlets have confirmed.
“I feel like coach (Mike Krzyzewski) and the staff can get the most out of me as a player and academically,” Hood told ESPN. “I liked the teammates and felt like we have a good chance to compete for a championship.”
He chose Duke over Ohio State.
Hood, who left Mississippi State after the retirement of coach Rick Stansbury at the conclusion of the season, averaged 10.3 points and 4.7 rebounds per game in his freshman year with the Bulldogs.
He will be eligible to play for Duke at the beginning of the 2013-14 season.
“He was pretty honest with me,” Hood went on to say. “He told me what he saw for my future. He was up front and he didn’t just tell me anything. He was specific and to the point. He said he can make me a better basketball player and one of the best in the country. His track record speaks for itself. I could tell he believed in me as a player.”
Once eligible, the 6-8, 204-pound Hood will be an asset in the Duke frontcourt, alongside a player of similar build, incoming freshman Amile Jefferson.
The Blue Devils finished 27-7 this past season, including 13-3 in the ACC. They lost in the Round of 64 of the NCAA tournament to Lehigh.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)