Jul 1, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
6-10 forward Michael Bradley left Connecticut for Western Kentucky this spring, hoping that the NCAA would grant him a waiver and thus be allowed to play immediately.
Vincennes head coach Todd Franklin made the trip down to Bowling Green to watch Bradley, who has been taking summer courses at WKU, work out last week and on Bradley’s visit to VU on Friday the Chattanooga native signed.
“He’s a big, talented guy, and he has a vast amount of potential,” Franklin said Bradley in the school’s statement. “We hope he can get us over the hump [to be a serious contender for a NJCAA Div. I National Championship at Hutchinson, KS].”
Bradley hasn’t played a game at the collegiate level despite spending two seasons at UConn. He was redshirted in 2010-11, and a fractured right ankle robbed him of the opportunity to play in 2011-12.
Yet the NCAA still decided that even with those facts and the Huskies being ruled ineligible for the postseason, Bradley should sit out a third season before being eligible to play for Western Kentucky in 2013.
The end result is Vincennes landing a 6-10 player who should be an asset after shaking off some of the rust that’s likely present given Bradley’s lack of game action.
“We were looking at getting another big guy in here and we knew we should try to get a true center, because we’re deep at other positions,” said Franklin.
“When you can add a 6-10 Big East transfer who doesn’t bring a lot of baggage and was a high test score player, you have to feel fortunate.”
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)