Jul 3, 2012, 1:52 PM EST
Washington coach Lorenzo Romar added size on the interior Monday, brining in Florida International transfer Gilles Dierickx, the school has announced.
Dierickx, a 6-11 center from Ghent, Belgium, will have three years of eligibility remaining for the Huskies once he is eligible for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Gilles is a very skilled post player that can step outside as well as play on the block,” Romar said in a statement. “He is someone that has potential for a lot of growth and he gives us some size at 6-foot-11.”
Dierickx started 15 games for FIU last season, averaging 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds for a team that finished 8-21, including 5-11 in the Sun Belt.
Coach Isiah Thomas was fired at the end of the season and replaced by former Louisville assistant Richard Pitino.
Dierickx played his high school basketball at West Hills Chaminade in West Hills, Calif., so the move to Washington will bring him back to the West Coast.
During his senior season at West Hills Chaminade, he averaged 13.2 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 3.2 blocks per game.
Washington is coming off a season in which it finished 24-11 and reached the semifinals of the NIT.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 12
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)