Jul 3, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
Washington coach Lorenzo Romar added size on the interior Monday, brining in Florida International transfer Gilles Dierickx, the school has announced.
Dierickx, a 6-11 center from Ghent, Belgium, will have three years of eligibility remaining for the Huskies once he is eligible for the start of the 2013-14 season.
“Gilles is a very skilled post player that can step outside as well as play on the block,” Romar said in a statement. “He is someone that has potential for a lot of growth and he gives us some size at 6-foot-11.”
Dierickx started 15 games for FIU last season, averaging 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds for a team that finished 8-21, including 5-11 in the Sun Belt.
Coach Isiah Thomas was fired at the end of the season and replaced by former Louisville assistant Richard Pitino.
Dierickx played his high school basketball at West Hills Chaminade in West Hills, Calif., so the move to Washington will bring him back to the West Coast.
During his senior season at West Hills Chaminade, he averaged 13.2 points, 9.2 rebounds, and 3.2 blocks per game.
Washington is coming off a season in which it finished 24-11 and reached the semifinals of the NIT.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save