Jul 4, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
Texas Southern head coach Tony Harvey has resigned from his position, effective immediately, the school announced Tuesday.
According to the release, it was in Harvey’s best “personal and professional interest to resign to pursue other goals.”
“We appreciate the hard work put in by Coach Harvey over the past several seasons and we wish him well in his future endeavors,” said TSU Director of Athletics Dr. Charles McClelland in a statement.
“It is our goal to maintain as much continuity as possible within the men’s basketball program as it relates to the student-athletes currently on the team and the coaching staff in place. Moving forward we will name an interim head coach who will serve in that capacity for the 2012-13 season. At the conclusion of the season we will conduct a national search to find a permanent replacement.”
Texas Southern finished 15-18 this past season, including 12-6 in the SWAC. The Tigers lost to Mississippi Valley State in the final of the SWAC tournament, which sent MVSU to the NCAA tournament.
Harvey was recently in the news when his home was burglarized while he was on a team road trip. In the burglary, former TSU player Whitworth Treasure and former TSU women’s player Jasmine Payne allegedly stole items valued at $94,000.
Harvey had been with Texas Southern since 2008 after coming over, having spent time at schools that include Eastern Michigan and Missouri.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team