Jul 5, 2012, 10:50 PM EST
Down to just nine scholarship players after guard Four McGlynn’s transfer to Towson, Vermont was in need of another body in their quest to repeat at America East tournament champions.
Enter Trey Blue, who will transfer to the school from Illinois State and be eligible immediately as a graduate student according to John Fantino of the Burlington (VT) Free Press.
A 6-3 guard from South Holland, IL, Blue didn’t see much playing time for the Redbirds last season. He averaged 7.3 minutes and 1.2 points per game in 15 appearances, with the minutes being just over half his average in 2010-11 (14.9 minutes/game).
“This is a really cool situation for me,” Blue said. “I instantly clicked with the coaches and players when I visited. That’s the main reason I want to come to UVM.”
This will be Blue’s third school after beginning his career at Fordham.
Blue transferred after his freshman year to be closer to home following a family tragedy, then averaged 4.8 points per game as a redshirt sophomore in 2010-11.
Blue will be the second perimeter addition for Vermont this season, with 6-4 Marist transfer Candon Rusin becoming eligible after sitting out the 2011-12 season.
Starters Brendan Bald and Sandro Carissimo return, and the additions of Blue and Rusin could add some much-needed scoring punch off the bench for John Becker’s squad.
Photo credit: David Proeber/The Pantagraph
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)