Jul 5, 2012, 10:50 PM EST
Down to just nine scholarship players after guard Four McGlynn’s transfer to Towson, Vermont was in need of another body in their quest to repeat at America East tournament champions.
Enter Trey Blue, who will transfer to the school from Illinois State and be eligible immediately as a graduate student according to John Fantino of the Burlington (VT) Free Press.
A 6-3 guard from South Holland, IL, Blue didn’t see much playing time for the Redbirds last season. He averaged 7.3 minutes and 1.2 points per game in 15 appearances, with the minutes being just over half his average in 2010-11 (14.9 minutes/game).
“This is a really cool situation for me,” Blue said. “I instantly clicked with the coaches and players when I visited. That’s the main reason I want to come to UVM.”
This will be Blue’s third school after beginning his career at Fordham.
Blue transferred after his freshman year to be closer to home following a family tragedy, then averaged 4.8 points per game as a redshirt sophomore in 2010-11.
Blue will be the second perimeter addition for Vermont this season, with 6-4 Marist transfer Candon Rusin becoming eligible after sitting out the 2011-12 season.
Starters Brendan Bald and Sandro Carissimo return, and the additions of Blue and Rusin could add some much-needed scoring punch off the bench for John Becker’s squad.
Photo credit: David Proeber/The Pantagraph
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 3
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)