Jul 5, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
Down to just nine scholarship players after guard Four McGlynn’s transfer to Towson, Vermont was in need of another body in their quest to repeat at America East tournament champions.
Enter Trey Blue, who will transfer to the school from Illinois State and be eligible immediately as a graduate student according to John Fantino of the Burlington (VT) Free Press.
A 6-3 guard from South Holland, IL, Blue didn’t see much playing time for the Redbirds last season. He averaged 7.3 minutes and 1.2 points per game in 15 appearances, with the minutes being just over half his average in 2010-11 (14.9 minutes/game).
“This is a really cool situation for me,” Blue said. “I instantly clicked with the coaches and players when I visited. That’s the main reason I want to come to UVM.”
This will be Blue’s third school after beginning his career at Fordham.
Blue transferred after his freshman year to be closer to home following a family tragedy, then averaged 4.8 points per game as a redshirt sophomore in 2010-11.
Blue will be the second perimeter addition for Vermont this season, with 6-4 Marist transfer Candon Rusin becoming eligible after sitting out the 2011-12 season.
Starters Brendan Bald and Sandro Carissimo return, and the additions of Blue and Rusin could add some much-needed scoring punch off the bench for John Becker’s squad.
Photo credit: David Proeber/The Pantagraph
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 3
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 5
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 60
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (63)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)