Jul 5, 2012, 10:50 PM EDT
Down to just nine scholarship players after guard Four McGlynn’s transfer to Towson, Vermont was in need of another body in their quest to repeat at America East tournament champions.
Enter Trey Blue, who will transfer to the school from Illinois State and be eligible immediately as a graduate student according to John Fantino of the Burlington (VT) Free Press.
A 6-3 guard from South Holland, IL, Blue didn’t see much playing time for the Redbirds last season. He averaged 7.3 minutes and 1.2 points per game in 15 appearances, with the minutes being just over half his average in 2010-11 (14.9 minutes/game).
“This is a really cool situation for me,” Blue said. “I instantly clicked with the coaches and players when I visited. That’s the main reason I want to come to UVM.”
This will be Blue’s third school after beginning his career at Fordham.
Blue transferred after his freshman year to be closer to home following a family tragedy, then averaged 4.8 points per game as a redshirt sophomore in 2010-11.
Blue will be the second perimeter addition for Vermont this season, with 6-4 Marist transfer Candon Rusin becoming eligible after sitting out the 2011-12 season.
Starters Brendan Bald and Sandro Carissimo return, and the additions of Blue and Rusin could add some much-needed scoring punch off the bench for John Becker’s squad.
Photo credit: David Proeber/The Pantagraph
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)