Jul 5, 2012, 10:21 PM EDT
Sad news coming out of Tennessee today as Trey Erwin lost his battle with cancer.
Erwin was a 15 year old football player and native of Collierville. Back in March, he was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and given six months to live.
His battle was an inspiration for many, and his story became one followed by many people in the mid-South, athletes included. Tennessee big man Jarnell Stokes wore No. 13 during his stint playing with Team USA’s U-18 team. Stokes tweeted that “Trey inspired me to always trust in God no matter how bad life’s going. This kid dream was to become a Vol” on Thursday afternoon.
DJ Stephens of Memphis also became close with Erwin. Stephens tweeted “Always will be remembered. Never will be forgotten. I love you my guy @treyerwin13 #RIP”. Both players posted pictures that they took with Trey in recent months once they found out he had passed away:
No matter the situation, losing a teenager to cancer is an utter tragedy. This does, however, give us a chance to see the true character of Stokes and Stephens — and everyone else that took time out of their day to help cheer up a sick kid. We watch these guys on TV, we cheer for them when they don a uniform, we marvel at them as they walk across campus, but we rarely get a chance to see what kind of people our sports idols truly are.
It may have been brief, but Erwin was able to get to know a couple of his idols. That is a commendable thing for Stokes and Stephens to do.
Thoughts and prayers go out to Trey’s family. You can read more about Trey’s battle here.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL