Jul 8, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
North Carolina native Ronnie Hamilton has been hired as an assistant at the University of Houston, the school announced Friday.
Hamilton comes to the staff after spending two years at Tulane and having previously served on staff at The Citadel, Tarleton State, and UNC-Pembroke.
“Houston is a great academic institution with a long tradition in basketball,” said Hamilton in a statement. “All of those factors sold me on this opportunity. It’s a dream come true to be a part of such a great staff and to be able to help Houston Basketball add to its long history of success as we move forward into the BIG EAST Conference.”
Hamilton takes the place of assistant Ulric Maligi, who left Houston to take the same position on Larry Brown’s staff at SMU.
“Ronnie will be an outstanding addition to our program,” head coach James Dickey said. “He brings a lot of energy, work ethic and has developed an outstanding reputation as a coach and as a recruiter. Ronnie will be a mentor, role model and leader for our young men, and we welcome him to the University of Houston.”
The Cougars are coming off a season in which they finished 15-15, including 7-9 in the C-USA. A strong recruiting class if coming for the 2012-13 season, though, led by Top 20 player Danuel House.
Alongside House comes forward Danrad “Chicken” Knowles, center Valentine Izundu, and junior college transfers Brandon Morris and Tony Womack.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?