Jul 9, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
The easiest way to quiet the boo birds during a baseball game is to go yard, but even the most diehard Kansas basketball fans wouldn’t expect the man doing that yardwork to be head coach Bill Self.
Kansas City is home to this week’s baseball all-star game, and Sunday night the Royals hosted a celebrity softball game. Self took part in the event, something Missouri fans voiced their displeasure about on numerous occasions. But on the first pitch that he saw from Jennie Finch, Self lined a homerun to left.
Making the homerun all the more impressive is the fact that Self pulled his hamstring on Saturday preparing for this event.
“I was nervous because I couldn’t run to first,” Self said. “I thought I better do some running for this and I mistakenly put the treadmill on ‘four-minute mile.’”
Self wore No. 8 to the event, which was supposed to be 08. He requested the number to honor the national title that he won.
“I wish I could have worn a 12,” Self said in reference to his team’s trip to the national title game this season. “That would have been really cool to wear a 12 this year.”
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)