Jul 9, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
The easiest way to quiet the boo birds during a baseball game is to go yard, but even the most diehard Kansas basketball fans wouldn’t expect the man doing that yardwork to be head coach Bill Self.
Kansas City is home to this week’s baseball all-star game, and Sunday night the Royals hosted a celebrity softball game. Self took part in the event, something Missouri fans voiced their displeasure about on numerous occasions. But on the first pitch that he saw from Jennie Finch, Self lined a homerun to left.
Making the homerun all the more impressive is the fact that Self pulled his hamstring on Saturday preparing for this event.
“I was nervous because I couldn’t run to first,” Self said. “I thought I better do some running for this and I mistakenly put the treadmill on ‘four-minute mile.'”
Self wore No. 8 to the event, which was supposed to be 08. He requested the number to honor the national title that he won.
“I wish I could have worn a 12,” Self said in reference to his team’s trip to the national title game this season. “That would have been really cool to wear a 12 this year.”
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)