Jul 9, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
The easiest way to quiet the boo birds during a baseball game is to go yard, but even the most diehard Kansas basketball fans wouldn’t expect the man doing that yardwork to be head coach Bill Self.
Kansas City is home to this week’s baseball all-star game, and Sunday night the Royals hosted a celebrity softball game. Self took part in the event, something Missouri fans voiced their displeasure about on numerous occasions. But on the first pitch that he saw from Jennie Finch, Self lined a homerun to left.
Making the homerun all the more impressive is the fact that Self pulled his hamstring on Saturday preparing for this event.
“I was nervous because I couldn’t run to first,” Self said. “I thought I better do some running for this and I mistakenly put the treadmill on ‘four-minute mile.'”
Self wore No. 8 to the event, which was supposed to be 08. He requested the number to honor the national title that he won.
“I wish I could have worn a 12,” Self said in reference to his team’s trip to the national title game this season. “That would have been really cool to wear a 12 this year.”
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 1
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)