Jul 9, 2012, 6:51 PM EST
Mike Montgomery’s 65, but California doesn’t want him thinking about retirement. Not for another couple years, anyway.
The Bears coach signed a two-year contract extension on Monday, securing his place at the school through the 2015-16 season, Cal announced.
“Mike is a proven winner as a coach on the basketball court and as a mentor in developing our student-athletes here at Cal,” athletic director Sandy Barbour said in a statement. “His tremendous achievements speak for themselves. Mike epitomizes the mission, vision and values of our department and I am excited he will continue to lead our men’s basketball program for the next four seasons.”
Montgomery is 88-47 in four seasons at Cal, including three 20-win seasons and the school’s first regular-season conference title in 50 years. They’ve never finished worse than fourth in the Pac-12 under Montgomery.
The Bears have also reached the NCAA tournament three times under Montgomery, no small feat given the Pac-12’s only had eight total berths in the last three seasons.
Montgomery’s also coached at Stanford and Montana and had a short stint with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)