Jul 9, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
Mike Montgomery’s 65, but California doesn’t want him thinking about retirement. Not for another couple years, anyway.
The Bears coach signed a two-year contract extension on Monday, securing his place at the school through the 2015-16 season, Cal announced.
“Mike is a proven winner as a coach on the basketball court and as a mentor in developing our student-athletes here at Cal,” athletic director Sandy Barbour said in a statement. “His tremendous achievements speak for themselves. Mike epitomizes the mission, vision and values of our department and I am excited he will continue to lead our men’s basketball program for the next four seasons.”
Montgomery is 88-47 in four seasons at Cal, including three 20-win seasons and the school’s first regular-season conference title in 50 years. They’ve never finished worse than fourth in the Pac-12 under Montgomery.
The Bears have also reached the NCAA tournament three times under Montgomery, no small feat given the Pac-12’s only had eight total berths in the last three seasons.
Montgomery’s also coached at Stanford and Montana and had a short stint with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)