Jul 9, 2012, 6:51 PM EDT
Mike Montgomery’s 65, but California doesn’t want him thinking about retirement. Not for another couple years, anyway.
The Bears coach signed a two-year contract extension on Monday, securing his place at the school through the 2015-16 season, Cal announced.
“Mike is a proven winner as a coach on the basketball court and as a mentor in developing our student-athletes here at Cal,” athletic director Sandy Barbour said in a statement. “His tremendous achievements speak for themselves. Mike epitomizes the mission, vision and values of our department and I am excited he will continue to lead our men’s basketball program for the next four seasons.”
Montgomery is 88-47 in four seasons at Cal, including three 20-win seasons and the school’s first regular-season conference title in 50 years. They’ve never finished worse than fourth in the Pac-12 under Montgomery.
The Bears have also reached the NCAA tournament three times under Montgomery, no small feat given the Pac-12’s only had eight total berths in the last three seasons.
Montgomery’s also coached at Stanford and Montana and had a short stint with the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)