Jul 9, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
If the Dominican Republic is going to make a run at the 2016 Olympics – it just missed a spot in London after losing to Nigeria on Sunday — John Calipari probably won’t be its coach.
The Kentucky coach says he’ll have to think about if he wants to continue coaching the D.R. Even though it helped fuel some of the Wildcats’ recruiting efforts, the time commitment involved makes him a little leery of continuing.
“I’m not ready to say what I’m going to do,” Calipari told Andy Katz. “It has been fun but it takes a lot of time. I worked my team out as soon as I got off the plane and I’ll work them out again Wednesday before I fly to Vegas, come back and work them out Monday and Tuesday to work them out again. I ended up having two jobs. If we would have qualified for London that would have been, well, think about that. It would have been tough to get recruiting done.”
The London Games run from July 27-Aug. 12. If the D.R. had made the medal round, Calipari would’ve been in London for most of that time, which would’ve been tough on prepping his new team and preparing for a title defense.
Even a guy with boundless energy like Calipari needs a break now and then.
For that matter he has a hard time imagining what it would’ve been like if the D.R. hadn’t trained in Lexington.
“I wouldn’t have done it if we hadn’t trained here for two years,” Calipari told Katz. “That’s time away. We were training here and I was able to do two jobs. We had our camp, I coached their team and coached my team. It was a tough four weeks.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)