Jul 9, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Nerlens Noel’s game is ready for the jump to Kentucky. He’s perhaps the premier shot blocker of the last 20 years, with offensive skills that are rapidly catching up.
Now he just needs to ensure his grades are ready.
Per the Boston Herald, Noel is taking two summer classes at Everett High in order to boost his GPA to meet NCAA standards. Noel attended Everett for two years before transferring to the Tilton School in New Hampshire. He was originally part of the class of 2013, but re-classified earlier this year.
That’s also why he’s in summer school. Noel would’ve had another year to get his academics in order. But now he’s gotta hurry.
This also isn’t anything new. Two members of the NCAA reportedly investigated Noel’s academic background at Everett back in May and if he’d be able to get everything done in time to play in 2012-13. That meeting also served as a probe into his relationship with Chris Driscoll, a former Providence assistant.
Will Noel be ready to play for the Wildcats for their first game? I’d guess he’ll have no trouble completing the classes and probably do the same to ensure any test scores need to be met. Hey, when a season at Kentucky – and possibly the No. 1 overall pick in 2013 – is on the line, one doesn’t dillydally.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 3
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 5
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 60
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 14
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (63)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)