Jul 9, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
Nerlens Noel’s game is ready for the jump to Kentucky. He’s perhaps the premier shot blocker of the last 20 years, with offensive skills that are rapidly catching up.
Now he just needs to ensure his grades are ready.
Per the Boston Herald, Noel is taking two summer classes at Everett High in order to boost his GPA to meet NCAA standards. Noel attended Everett for two years before transferring to the Tilton School in New Hampshire. He was originally part of the class of 2013, but re-classified earlier this year.
That’s also why he’s in summer school. Noel would’ve had another year to get his academics in order. But now he’s gotta hurry.
This also isn’t anything new. Two members of the NCAA reportedly investigated Noel’s academic background at Everett back in May and if he’d be able to get everything done in time to play in 2012-13. That meeting also served as a probe into his relationship with Chris Driscoll, a former Providence assistant.
Will Noel be ready to play for the Wildcats for their first game? I’d guess he’ll have no trouble completing the classes and probably do the same to ensure any test scores need to be met. Hey, when a season at Kentucky – and possibly the No. 1 overall pick in 2013 – is on the line, one doesn’t dillydally.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)