Jul 9, 2012, 8:11 PM EST
Nerlens Noel’s game is ready for the jump to Kentucky. He’s perhaps the premier shot blocker of the last 20 years, with offensive skills that are rapidly catching up.
Now he just needs to ensure his grades are ready.
Per the Boston Herald, Noel is taking two summer classes at Everett High in order to boost his GPA to meet NCAA standards. Noel attended Everett for two years before transferring to the Tilton School in New Hampshire. He was originally part of the class of 2013, but re-classified earlier this year.
That’s also why he’s in summer school. Noel would’ve had another year to get his academics in order. But now he’s gotta hurry.
This also isn’t anything new. Two members of the NCAA reportedly investigated Noel’s academic background at Everett back in May and if he’d be able to get everything done in time to play in 2012-13. That meeting also served as a probe into his relationship with Chris Driscoll, a former Providence assistant.
Will Noel be ready to play for the Wildcats for their first game? I’d guess he’ll have no trouble completing the classes and probably do the same to ensure any test scores need to be met. Hey, when a season at Kentucky – and possibly the No. 1 overall pick in 2013 – is on the line, one doesn’t dillydally.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)