Jul 10, 2012, 11:21 AM EDT
A man can dream, right?
In a piece dug up by Nick Fasulo over at SB Nation, Auburn head coach Tony Barbee pondered the idea of Cam Newton the basketball player.
“He might be bigger than anybody I have on my team,” Barbee said back in 2010.
A reporter then probed a bit. Has Barbee ever seen Newton play basketball?
“I don’t need to,” he said. “As fast as he is and as athletic as he is, I’ll find a way to use him.”
Of course, Cam Newton was on his way to a national title at Auburn during that season, probably with the school’s basketball team one of the farthest things from his mind.
But, if you will, just imagine Newton the basketball player. Now 6-5, 248 pounds, Newton could be a force at the small forward position. Though undersized height-wise, think of a space-eater down low and a willing rebounder.
Auburn wouldn’t mind bringing Newton in for this upcoming season (if that could ever be possible), having finished 2011-12 with a 15-16 record, including 5-11 in the SEC.
There is hope, though.
Barbee is bringing in a six-man 2012 recruiting class, led by guard Jordan Price and high-flying forward Shaquille Johnson.
If it’s athleticism Barbee was recruiting for, Johnson has it. Check out this video. We could have another Tony Mitchell on our hands.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)