Jul 10, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
Two years into his tenure at Iowa, Fran McCaffery has earned himself a new contract, the school announced Tuesday.
McCaffery, who has amassed a 29-37 record with the Hawkeyes, signed a seven-year deal worth a minimum average of $1.66 million per year with a base salary of $1.3 million in 2012-13.
“I’m thrilled with where Fran is taking our program,” said Iowa athletic director Gary Barta in a statement. “He has done an outstanding job, in all phases. We are pleased that the victory total has increased in the last two seasons.
“But, as important, Fran has demonstrated a total commitment in all phases of the program, including recruiting, community involvement and commitment to academic performance.”
Under McCaffery in 2011-12, Iowa made its first post-season berth since 2006. The Hawkeyes finished with an 18-17 record and advanced to the second round of the NIT.
“We have made tremendous progress in all phases of the program in two seasons,” said McCaffery. “We have made progress during both the regular season and in postseason play with our participation in the 2012 NIT. Our players know they have the complete support of the University, and we look forward to the upcoming seasons.”
The Hawkeyes return two starters from the NIT team this past season and brings in five players from the Class of 2012, including Top 40, 6-11 center Adam Woodbury and Top 100 guard Mike Gesell.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy