Jul 10, 2012, 9:42 PM EST
On Monday afternoon, the Boston Herald broke the news that Nerlens Noel — the top recruit in the Class of 2012 and Anthony Davis’ heir apparent to the title of No. 1 draft pick — was taking two summer school classes in an effort to become eligible for the 2012-2013 season.
Noel, who is John Calipari’s prized-recruit this season, is apparently taking the classes to try and boost his GPA. With the NCAA looking into his academic background, it makes sense that Noel would want all of his t’s cross and i’s dotted.
And, according to Coach Cal, that is all this is:
Calipari said the highly-touted Kentucky freshmen class was in attendance (Alex Poythress,Archie Goodwin and Willie Cauley) at the workouts Monday except for the top center in the class and a projected top two pick in 2013 in Nerlens Noel.
“He’s not here,” Calipari said. “Since he reclassified he had to do a few more academic things and he’s finishing school. We only have one summer session (to work the team out).”
Calipari said he doesn’t anticipate any eligibility problems for Noel to start the season.
Cal’s confident, which is probably a better sign than if he were to say that they needed to start preparing for the season as if they weren’t going to have Noel. But Cal was also confident that he’d have Enes Kanter eligible. Confidence doesn’t necessarily translate to eligibility.
We may be waiting for awhile for an official word on this one.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 1
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)