Jul 10, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
On Tuesday afternoon, UAB announced that they agreed upon a three-year series with North Carolina.
The Tar Heels with be hosting the Blazers this season and in 2014-2015, while Roy Williams will bring his team to Birmingham in 2013-2014.
It’s not hard to figure out why this happened. Jerod Haase, UAB’s new head coach, spent 13 seasons on Williams’ staff.
“Coach Williams proves to me once again that he is the most loyal guy in the world and someone who truly cares about his former players and coaches,” Haase said. “For him to do this for me and the UAB program certainly speaks volumes about the type of person he is.”
“The challenge needless to say is a huge one. North Carolina is arguably the top program in the country. At the same time, this presents a huge opportunity for us in terms of exposure for our program. We will have a team that is growing and hopefully it will be a learning experience and a good experience for our team.”
This is a really cool thing for Williams to do. The difficulty for teams like UAB to schedule quality opponents — especially home games against the likes of the Heels — is not a secret. This isn’t a ticket to the NCAA tournament by any means, but it no doubt helps with things like RPI and strength of schedule, especially if the Blazers are able to spring an upset.
Keeping it in the UNC family.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)