Jul 10, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
On Tuesday afternoon, UAB announced that they agreed upon a three-year series with North Carolina.
The Tar Heels with be hosting the Blazers this season and in 2014-2015, while Roy Williams will bring his team to Birmingham in 2013-2014.
It’s not hard to figure out why this happened. Jerod Haase, UAB’s new head coach, spent 13 seasons on Williams’ staff.
“Coach Williams proves to me once again that he is the most loyal guy in the world and someone who truly cares about his former players and coaches,” Haase said. “For him to do this for me and the UAB program certainly speaks volumes about the type of person he is.”
“The challenge needless to say is a huge one. North Carolina is arguably the top program in the country. At the same time, this presents a huge opportunity for us in terms of exposure for our program. We will have a team that is growing and hopefully it will be a learning experience and a good experience for our team.”
This is a really cool thing for Williams to do. The difficulty for teams like UAB to schedule quality opponents — especially home games against the likes of the Heels — is not a secret. This isn’t a ticket to the NCAA tournament by any means, but it no doubt helps with things like RPI and strength of schedule, especially if the Blazers are able to spring an upset.
Keeping it in the UNC family.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)