Jul 10, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
On Tuesday afternoon, UAB announced that they agreed upon a three-year series with North Carolina.
The Tar Heels with be hosting the Blazers this season and in 2014-2015, while Roy Williams will bring his team to Birmingham in 2013-2014.
It’s not hard to figure out why this happened. Jerod Haase, UAB’s new head coach, spent 13 seasons on Williams’ staff.
“Coach Williams proves to me once again that he is the most loyal guy in the world and someone who truly cares about his former players and coaches,” Haase said. “For him to do this for me and the UAB program certainly speaks volumes about the type of person he is.”
“The challenge needless to say is a huge one. North Carolina is arguably the top program in the country. At the same time, this presents a huge opportunity for us in terms of exposure for our program. We will have a team that is growing and hopefully it will be a learning experience and a good experience for our team.”
This is a really cool thing for Williams to do. The difficulty for teams like UAB to schedule quality opponents — especially home games against the likes of the Heels — is not a secret. This isn’t a ticket to the NCAA tournament by any means, but it no doubt helps with things like RPI and strength of schedule, especially if the Blazers are able to spring an upset.
Keeping it in the UNC family.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)