Jul 10, 2012, 5:28 PM EST
On Tuesday afternoon, UAB announced that they agreed upon a three-year series with North Carolina.
The Tar Heels with be hosting the Blazers this season and in 2014-2015, while Roy Williams will bring his team to Birmingham in 2013-2014.
It’s not hard to figure out why this happened. Jerod Haase, UAB’s new head coach, spent 13 seasons on Williams’ staff.
“Coach Williams proves to me once again that he is the most loyal guy in the world and someone who truly cares about his former players and coaches,” Haase said. “For him to do this for me and the UAB program certainly speaks volumes about the type of person he is.”
“The challenge needless to say is a huge one. North Carolina is arguably the top program in the country. At the same time, this presents a huge opportunity for us in terms of exposure for our program. We will have a team that is growing and hopefully it will be a learning experience and a good experience for our team.”
This is a really cool thing for Williams to do. The difficulty for teams like UAB to schedule quality opponents — especially home games against the likes of the Heels — is not a secret. This isn’t a ticket to the NCAA tournament by any means, but it no doubt helps with things like RPI and strength of schedule, especially if the Blazers are able to spring an upset.
Keeping it in the UNC family.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)