Jul 11, 2012, 2:32 PM EST
READING, Pa.— You might not be able to pinpoint exactly which position would suit 2013 forward Junior Etou best, but, after watching him at Hoop Group Elite Camp Wednesday, it doesn’t seem to matter.
Etou is listed at 6-8, but could be closer to 6-6, which would make him a slightly undersized post player at the high-major level.
But what he may lack in a few vertical inches, he makes up for with athleticism, toughness, and a willingness to work in the paint.
“I play well at both small forward and power forward,” he said. “I like power forward because I can rebound, block shots. But at small forward, I can go out and handle the ball and shoot.”
In a game Wednesday at Elite Camp, Etou was matched up with 6-10 high-major prospect Chinonso Obokoh and held him in check on the defensive end. In transition, Etou blocked three shots and, offensively, showed the ability to step out toward the perimeter. To complement his inside game, an ability to handle the ball would round out his game.
“I’m working on my ball-handling, my jumpshot, playing defense,” he said.
His high-major interest comes from schools that include Miami, Cincinnati, Maryland, Memphis, and West Virginia, and he has no timetable for a decision.
Expect his list of interest to grow this summer before he returns to Bishop O’Connell (Va.) for his senior season.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)