Jul 11, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
READING, Pa.— You might not be able to pinpoint exactly which position would suit 2013 forward Junior Etou best, but, after watching him at Hoop Group Elite Camp Wednesday, it doesn’t seem to matter.
Etou is listed at 6-8, but could be closer to 6-6, which would make him a slightly undersized post player at the high-major level.
But what he may lack in a few vertical inches, he makes up for with athleticism, toughness, and a willingness to work in the paint.
“I play well at both small forward and power forward,” he said. “I like power forward because I can rebound, block shots. But at small forward, I can go out and handle the ball and shoot.”
In a game Wednesday at Elite Camp, Etou was matched up with 6-10 high-major prospect Chinonso Obokoh and held him in check on the defensive end. In transition, Etou blocked three shots and, offensively, showed the ability to step out toward the perimeter. To complement his inside game, an ability to handle the ball would round out his game.
“I’m working on my ball-handling, my jumpshot, playing defense,” he said.
His high-major interest comes from schools that include Miami, Cincinnati, Maryland, Memphis, and West Virginia, and he has no timetable for a decision.
Expect his list of interest to grow this summer before he returns to Bishop O’Connell (Va.) for his senior season.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)