Jul 11, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
READING, Pa.— You might not be able to pinpoint exactly which position would suit 2013 forward Junior Etou best, but, after watching him at Hoop Group Elite Camp Wednesday, it doesn’t seem to matter.
Etou is listed at 6-8, but could be closer to 6-6, which would make him a slightly undersized post player at the high-major level.
But what he may lack in a few vertical inches, he makes up for with athleticism, toughness, and a willingness to work in the paint.
“I play well at both small forward and power forward,” he said. “I like power forward because I can rebound, block shots. But at small forward, I can go out and handle the ball and shoot.”
In a game Wednesday at Elite Camp, Etou was matched up with 6-10 high-major prospect Chinonso Obokoh and held him in check on the defensive end. In transition, Etou blocked three shots and, offensively, showed the ability to step out toward the perimeter. To complement his inside game, an ability to handle the ball would round out his game.
“I’m working on my ball-handling, my jumpshot, playing defense,” he said.
His high-major interest comes from schools that include Miami, Cincinnati, Maryland, Memphis, and West Virginia, and he has no timetable for a decision.
Expect his list of interest to grow this summer before he returns to Bishop O’Connell (Va.) for his senior season.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)