Jul 11, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
READING, Pa.— You might not be able to pinpoint exactly which position would suit 2013 forward Junior Etou best, but, after watching him at Hoop Group Elite Camp Wednesday, it doesn’t seem to matter.
Etou is listed at 6-8, but could be closer to 6-6, which would make him a slightly undersized post player at the high-major level.
But what he may lack in a few vertical inches, he makes up for with athleticism, toughness, and a willingness to work in the paint.
“I play well at both small forward and power forward,” he said. “I like power forward because I can rebound, block shots. But at small forward, I can go out and handle the ball and shoot.”
In a game Wednesday at Elite Camp, Etou was matched up with 6-10 high-major prospect Chinonso Obokoh and held him in check on the defensive end. In transition, Etou blocked three shots and, offensively, showed the ability to step out toward the perimeter. To complement his inside game, an ability to handle the ball would round out his game.
“I’m working on my ball-handling, my jumpshot, playing defense,” he said.
His high-major interest comes from schools that include Miami, Cincinnati, Maryland, Memphis, and West Virginia, and he has no timetable for a decision.
Expect his list of interest to grow this summer before he returns to Bishop O’Connell (Va.) for his senior season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)