Jul 11, 2012, 9:55 PM EST
Melvin Johnson has requested and received a release from his letter of intent to Miami.
Johnson is a top 100 recruit from New York that committed to the Hurricanes back in October, but according to his mother, there were “mutual reasons” for the split.
“It was because of circumstances beyond our control,” his mom told The New York Post, declining to elaborate more than saying that he had made it through the NCAA’s Clearinghouse.
On the surface, it seems like Johnson may have made the decision because of a logjam in the back court. Durand Scott, Trey McKinney-Jones, Garrius Adams, Shane Larkin, Rion Brown, and Bishop Daniels all return, but with Scott McKinney-Jones and Adam graduating after the 2013 season, Johnson had plenty of time to earn a feature spot in the rotation later in his career.
Was Miami trying to redshirt him and Johnson backed out?
Miami’s not the kind of program that can really afford losing top 100 recruits, but the back court is where they can withstand the defection. And give credit to the Miami coaching staff; they did not put any restrictions on Johnson, granting him a full release.
Johnson was a four-star recruit and considered Virginia Tech, Georgetown, South Florida, Dayton and Charleston before committing to Miami.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 2
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)