Jul 11, 2012, 9:55 PM EDT
Melvin Johnson has requested and received a release from his letter of intent to Miami.
Johnson is a top 100 recruit from New York that committed to the Hurricanes back in October, but according to his mother, there were “mutual reasons” for the split.
“It was because of circumstances beyond our control,” his mom told The New York Post, declining to elaborate more than saying that he had made it through the NCAA’s Clearinghouse.
On the surface, it seems like Johnson may have made the decision because of a logjam in the back court. Durand Scott, Trey McKinney-Jones, Garrius Adams, Shane Larkin, Rion Brown, and Bishop Daniels all return, but with Scott McKinney-Jones and Adam graduating after the 2013 season, Johnson had plenty of time to earn a feature spot in the rotation later in his career.
Was Miami trying to redshirt him and Johnson backed out?
Miami’s not the kind of program that can really afford losing top 100 recruits, but the back court is where they can withstand the defection. And give credit to the Miami coaching staff; they did not put any restrictions on Johnson, granting him a full release.
Johnson was a four-star recruit and considered Virginia Tech, Georgetown, South Florida, Dayton and Charleston before committing to Miami.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)