Jul 12, 2012, 3:37 PM EDT
The injury bug has struck the Team USA frontcourt again, but it now, perhaps, gives former Kentucky star Anthony Davis a shot at Olympic gold.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo!, Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin twisted his knee during a Team USA scrimmage and has been sent home for evaluation, forcing team officials to summon Davis to Las Vegas to rejoin the American National Team after being cut last week.
The extent of Griffin’s injury is unknown, but he has had trouble with the same knee in the past, including during the playoffs this past season.
Coming off a stellar national championship season with Kentucky and being selected with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, Davis will now have the opportunity to practice with Team USA.
Even Davis, for a time, was considered out of the running because of an ankle injury he suffered during a workout with the Hornets, but it turned out to be less severe than first thought.
Wojnarowski reports that Davis was on his way to Las Vegas Wednesday night after being in Los Angeles for a television event.
During his one season at Kentucky, Davis averaged 14.4 points, 10.0 rebounds, and 4.7 blocks per game. He is expected to bring a defensive presence down low for the US Team and could see minutes in a depleted frontcourt.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car