Jul 12, 2012, 11:02 AM EST
Seton Hall guard Sterling Gibbs has been denied a hardship waiver by the NCAA, J.P. Pelzman of The Bergen Record (N.J.) is reporting.
Gibbs, a New Jersey native, transferred from Texas at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season, reportedly to be closer to an ailing family member. Judging by the recent precedent set by the NCAA in regards to hardship waivers, the Gibbs decision comes as somewhat of a surprise.
Last season, Arizona guard and New York native Momo Jones was granted a waiver to play at Iona, a move that was sparked by Jones desire to be closer to an ailing family member, as well.
According to Pelzman, Seton Hall will appeal the decision.
Gibbs played sparingly in his freshman season at Texas, averaging 2.6 points per game in just over seven minutes per contest. Had the waiver been approved, he would have been an immediate replacement for point guard Jordan Theodore, who graduated this year.
“We’re excited to add Sterling to our family,” Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard said in a statement at the time of Gibbs’ transfer. “He’s the type of player that will contribute to our backcourt efforts over the next few years. He’s also a player that knows Seton Hall, its mission and culture well. Sterling will be a nice fit.”
Gibbs is the all-time leading scorer at Seton Hall Prep (N.J.) earned First Team All-State honors during his senior season. If the waiver appeal is denied, Gibbs will have to sit out a season, in accordance with NCAA rules, and would be eligible at the start of the 2013-14 season.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)