Jul 12, 2012, 11:02 AM EST
Seton Hall guard Sterling Gibbs has been denied a hardship waiver by the NCAA, J.P. Pelzman of The Bergen Record (N.J.) is reporting.
Gibbs, a New Jersey native, transferred from Texas at the conclusion of the 2011-12 season, reportedly to be closer to an ailing family member. Judging by the recent precedent set by the NCAA in regards to hardship waivers, the Gibbs decision comes as somewhat of a surprise.
Last season, Arizona guard and New York native Momo Jones was granted a waiver to play at Iona, a move that was sparked by Jones desire to be closer to an ailing family member, as well.
According to Pelzman, Seton Hall will appeal the decision.
Gibbs played sparingly in his freshman season at Texas, averaging 2.6 points per game in just over seven minutes per contest. Had the waiver been approved, he would have been an immediate replacement for point guard Jordan Theodore, who graduated this year.
“We’re excited to add Sterling to our family,” Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard said in a statement at the time of Gibbs’ transfer. “He’s the type of player that will contribute to our backcourt efforts over the next few years. He’s also a player that knows Seton Hall, its mission and culture well. Sterling will be a nice fit.”
Gibbs is the all-time leading scorer at Seton Hall Prep (N.J.) earned First Team All-State honors during his senior season. If the waiver appeal is denied, Gibbs will have to sit out a season, in accordance with NCAA rules, and would be eligible at the start of the 2013-14 season.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)