Jul 12, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
Got a cool $1,000 and can’t decide how to spend it? Go see a basketball game.
Georgetown and Florida will participate in the Navy/Marine Corps Classic on a US Naval Carrier Nov. 9 and, according to executive director of sports & entertainment for the City of Jacksonville Alan Verlander in an interview with Sports Radio 1010XL in Jacksonville, it’ll cost you a grand to take it all in.
To their credit, the $1,000 ticket gets you admission to a whole host of events, included in that a Jacksonville Jaguars game and a concert, but it looks like the typical fan will have to watch on TV.
“We’re creating a fan fest on the [military] base before the basketball game,” Verlander said. “Envision this: You’ve got an aircraft carrier on the coast there…and then right adjacent to that you have a huge fan festival, and we’re trying to bring in a big-name entertainer. We’re in talks right now with a big-name entertainer that everybody’s heard of.”
With the event closely tied to the military, 3,000 of the 8,000 tickets sold for the basketball game will be to military members, while a portion of the money from the $1,000 tickets will be used to send other military personnel to the Jaguars game taking place that weekend.
And what does that mean for the students of both universities? It looks like it could be the hottest ticket in town.
“We’re looking at potentially doing some kind of thing for the students – students at both Georgetown and Florida – but it would be on a very limited basis. We’re still looking at that right now as far as students go,” he said. “If you’re a Gator season ticket holder, really the only way to [go to this game] is to buy one of these packages. It’s not because we’re trying to be exclusive or anything like that; it’s a major event to put on with major expenses and it’s a one-of-a-kind of event that we’ve got to be able to pay for and partner with the military and do it the right way.”
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)