Jul 12, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT
Got a cool $1,000 and can’t decide how to spend it? Go see a basketball game.
Georgetown and Florida will participate in the Navy/Marine Corps Classic on a US Naval Carrier Nov. 9 and, according to executive director of sports & entertainment for the City of Jacksonville Alan Verlander in an interview with Sports Radio 1010XL in Jacksonville, it’ll cost you a grand to take it all in.
To their credit, the $1,000 ticket gets you admission to a whole host of events, included in that a Jacksonville Jaguars game and a concert, but it looks like the typical fan will have to watch on TV.
“We’re creating a fan fest on the [military] base before the basketball game,” Verlander said. “Envision this: You’ve got an aircraft carrier on the coast there…and then right adjacent to that you have a huge fan festival, and we’re trying to bring in a big-name entertainer. We’re in talks right now with a big-name entertainer that everybody’s heard of.”
With the event closely tied to the military, 3,000 of the 8,000 tickets sold for the basketball game will be to military members, while a portion of the money from the $1,000 tickets will be used to send other military personnel to the Jaguars game taking place that weekend.
And what does that mean for the students of both universities? It looks like it could be the hottest ticket in town.
“We’re looking at potentially doing some kind of thing for the students – students at both Georgetown and Florida – but it would be on a very limited basis. We’re still looking at that right now as far as students go,” he said. “If you’re a Gator season ticket holder, really the only way to [go to this game] is to buy one of these packages. It’s not because we’re trying to be exclusive or anything like that; it’s a major event to put on with major expenses and it’s a one-of-a-kind of event that we’ve got to be able to pay for and partner with the military and do it the right way.”
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 2
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 4
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 22
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 13
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)