Jul 13, 2012, 8:17 AM EDT
Gavin Schilling, a 6-foot-9 power forward that spent last season at Chicago’s De La Salle High School, will be transferring to powerhouse Findlay Prep.
“I met the coaching staff in Oakland while I was playing in a tournament with the Mac Irvin Fire,” Schilling told NBCSports.com at the Nike Skills U in Washington DC on Thursday. “They saw a couple games out there and they liked the way I played and the way I represented myself. The week after that, they called me and gave me an offer and I couldn’t pass that up.”
Schilling currently holds offers from a number of high-major, including USC, Oregon State, Auburn, Penn State, DePaul and Minnesota. Findlay will be the fourth high school in four years for Schilling. He attended Loyola as a freshman before spending a year at Urspring, an elite basketball academy in Germany. Schilling was born in Germany and his father is German.
Schilling has some promise as a player. He’s a strong, 230 pound presence that runs the floor very well for someone his height. He’s fairly raw — his post game and jump shot need some refinement — but that’s why you go to a place like Findlay Prep.
“Just to get better,” Schilling said was the reason for the transfer. “They have a great conditioning program and a great individual skill program, so I’m definitely going to get better out there. I’ll work towards my goal and get more prepared for college.”
“I definitely want to go to one of the top programs in the country and perform well.”
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)