Jul 13, 2012, 8:17 AM EST
Gavin Schilling, a 6-foot-9 power forward that spent last season at Chicago’s De La Salle High School, will be transferring to powerhouse Findlay Prep.
“I met the coaching staff in Oakland while I was playing in a tournament with the Mac Irvin Fire,” Schilling told NBCSports.com at the Nike Skills U in Washington DC on Thursday. “They saw a couple games out there and they liked the way I played and the way I represented myself. The week after that, they called me and gave me an offer and I couldn’t pass that up.”
Schilling currently holds offers from a number of high-major, including USC, Oregon State, Auburn, Penn State, DePaul and Minnesota. Findlay will be the fourth high school in four years for Schilling. He attended Loyola as a freshman before spending a year at Urspring, an elite basketball academy in Germany. Schilling was born in Germany and his father is German.
Schilling has some promise as a player. He’s a strong, 230 pound presence that runs the floor very well for someone his height. He’s fairly raw — his post game and jump shot need some refinement — but that’s why you go to a place like Findlay Prep.
“Just to get better,” Schilling said was the reason for the transfer. “They have a great conditioning program and a great individual skill program, so I’m definitely going to get better out there. I’ll work towards my goal and get more prepared for college.”
“I definitely want to go to one of the top programs in the country and perform well.”
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)