Jul 13, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
Missouri State head coach Paul Lusk announced the completion of his coaching staff on Friday with the hiring of Derrick Tilmon.
Tilmon, who was an assistant at Southern Indiana the last three seasons, joins Patrick Baldwin and Jermaine Henderson on the staff and replaces Kyle Smithpeters.
Smithpeters left Missouri State to become head coach at John A. Logan College.
“We’re very excited about adding Derrick to our staff,” said Lusk in a statement released by the school. “He has done an excellent job as an assistant at Southern Indiana and provided so much value to that program and to Coach Watson.
“He played in The Valley and brings valuable experience to our staff. We are fortunate to have Derrick and his family joining the MSU family, and we look forward to having him here.”
Tilmon played three seasons at Southern Illinois (1995-98) before playing five seasons professionally in Austria and the Netherlands.
Nine all-conference and three All-America selections played at Southern Indiana during Tilmon’s stint there, and the team tallied a record of 72-16.
Missouri State finished the season 16-16, and with both All-MVC selection Kyle Weems and second-leading scorer Caleb Patterson Lusk and his staff will need some guys to step up.
Guard Anthony Downing, the team’s leading returning scorer, is the most likely candidate in that regard with 6-4 guard Jamar Gulley being lost for the season with a torn ACL.
Photo credit: Evansville Courier & Press
- Report: Devonta Pollard no longer enrolled at Alabama 0
- Communication plays vital role in development of Marquette’s Vander Blue 0
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming