Jul 14, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
When they first hooked up, it seemed so right. All the celebrity, all the star power, all that money… together at last. And they looked so cute together, too.
The latest TomKat divorce news? No way, man. This is College Basketball Talk. We’re mooning over the Pac-12/Big Ten split. That’s the one that’s really tearing us up.
Back in December, the two BCS leagues announced an all-sports partnership that promised to bring the thrill of power-conference football and basketball into the new mega-conference era. The primary benefit was to be a scheduling agreement that would add more big games to the early football season. The basketball wouldn’t have been bad, either, and there’s no doubt that the two leagues are amongst the national leaders in the so-called Olympic sports – swimming, track, etc. It would have been a bonanza across the board.
No longer. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the deal is now off. In the words of Pac-12 commish Larry Scott:
“After extensive deliberation and consultation with member institutions, television partners and others, the Pac-12 and Big Ten have decided not to pursue the previously announced plans for enhanced scheduling collaboration across all sports at this time.”
“While we continue to value our close relationship, particularly our partnership in the Rose Bowl, the Pac-12 came to the conclusion that it’s in our best interests to maintain our nine-game conference schedule and maximum flexibility in out-of-conference scheduling. Thus, the Pac-12 decided not to lock into the proposed mandatory 12-game schedule in football.”
Purdue’s handshake agreement to face Colorado in 2016 and 2017 remains intact, Tom Schott, associate athletic director for communication, said Friday.
Yeah, it’s all about football and TV and cash, as usual. But hoop-heads would have enjoyed some hot November/December action as well, from the sound of things. Too bad. Guess it’s back to guarantee games and Turkey Day tourneys. Not so bad, but ah, what could have been.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)