Jul 14, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Anthony Barber is a top ten recruit in the class of 2013 and, along with Andrew Harrison and Kasey Hill, considered among the best high school point guards in the country.
Standing 6-foot-1, Barber is lightening quick with a tight handle, which makes him a nightmare to try and stay in front of. On the defensive end of the floor, he uses those quick feet and quicker hands to make trying to bring the ball up the floor about as pleasant as getting a tooth pulled.
And while Barber spent the weekend in DC at the Nike Global Challenge proving to Alabama’s Anthony Grant, Louisville’s Rick Pitino and Kansas’ Bill Self — who were all front and center for every game he played — that he is, indeed, worth the recruiting effort, he may not answer if you call him Anthony.
The name he goes by is ‘Cat’. And the reason isn’t exactly what you would expect.
“When I was little, my sister said I used to run around and climb on stuff,” Barber told NBCSports.com. “I guess she said I was like a cat, so they just started calling me that.”
So it had nothing to do with the fact that, you know, you’re quick as a cat?
“That could be too, but I just used to move a lot, so she called me that.”
There you have it. Barber’s name has everything to do with his ability to “climb on stuff” and nothing to do with his quickness or a part time job as a feline hairdresser.
The good news? ‘Cat’ was recently named one of the nation’s top five All-Name Team prospects in the Class of 2013.
(Image via Five Star Basketball)
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona