Jul 15, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Indictments have been made in the alleged drug ring tied to the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team, now citing 35 people and 101 counts of wrongdoing.
According to the Associated Press, federal prosecutors allege that the ring supplied $17 million worth of drugs to people mostly residing in Kansas, which then goes on to make the connection to the KU basketball team.
Suppliers in the ring allegedly provided certain Jayhawk players with marijuana and one man, Samuel Villeareal III, was often spotted with players, even sitting behind the bench for Kansas basketball games.
The university would not comment to the Associated Press on the incident, maintains that a drug testing policy is in place to screen freshmen, transfer students, and playoff teams.
According to a previous report from the Kansas City Star, a cell phone is the major link between the alleged ring and Kansas basketball.
““We know that because of the text messages we obtained from the iPhone and also from surveillance that was done throughout this investigation of Mr. Villeareal,” Morehead said, according to a transcript that was reported by the Star.
For the full AP report, click here.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte