Jul 15, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
Indictments have been made in the alleged drug ring tied to the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team, now citing 35 people and 101 counts of wrongdoing.
According to the Associated Press, federal prosecutors allege that the ring supplied $17 million worth of drugs to people mostly residing in Kansas, which then goes on to make the connection to the KU basketball team.
Suppliers in the ring allegedly provided certain Jayhawk players with marijuana and one man, Samuel Villeareal III, was often spotted with players, even sitting behind the bench for Kansas basketball games.
The university would not comment to the Associated Press on the incident, maintains that a drug testing policy is in place to screen freshmen, transfer students, and playoff teams.
According to a previous report from the Kansas City Star, a cell phone is the major link between the alleged ring and Kansas basketball.
““We know that because of the text messages we obtained from the iPhone and also from surveillance that was done throughout this investigation of Mr. Villeareal,” Morehead said, according to a transcript that was reported by the Star.
For the full AP report, click here.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 7
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (8)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)