Jul 16, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
The Wheel of Realignment keeps on spinning.
On Sunday, an article in the Statesboro Herald quoted Georgia Southern’s AD Sam Baker as saying that both Davidson and the College of Charleston having standing invites to the CAA.
“There’s been an invitation from the Colonial to Davidson and Charleston,” Baker said. “We’ve not heard, as conference members, where that may lead. It would be hard to tell. I think they both benefit by being in our conference.”
This should surprise no one.
Every single theorist and pundit has stated that the CAA — who lost VCU, Old Dominion and Georgia Southern this offseason — would be wise to go after those two SoCon members. Officials in the CAA haven’t exactly been subtle about their thought process, either:
CAA commissioner Tom Yeager informed SoCon commissioner John Iamarino that he would be contacting SoCon schools.
In recent days, Yeager has said that he expects the CAA to add new members for the 2013-14 school year, and that he hopes to announce those additions by the end of summer.
“I think there are some attractive institutions out there that are interested in the CAA and vice versa,” he said.
Neither Davidson nor Charleston are on the same level as VCU as a basketball program right now, but both are perennially strong enough to be considered a threat to win a game in the NCAA tournament.
It sounds like Tom Yeager knows he is making the smart move chasing them.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona