Jul 16, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT
So much for that Jabari Parker-Andrew Wiggins showdown at the Peach Jam.
Multiple reports indicate that 2013’s top recruit will miss the annual recruiting highlight, which starts this week. The 6-9 Parker has been nursing a foot injury for all of the summer – including when he played for Team USA at the U17 FIBA World Championships – and will sit for the rest of the AAU circuit.
Parker will have an MRI this week, but the injury isn’t expected to linger.
“He is fine,” his dad, Sonny, told the Chicago Tribune. “He wants to get out there. He’s been off a week and he’s itching to play. But it is too much. He needs rest.
“He played two months with a stress fracture, even when he shouldn’t have been playing. That healed and he came down on his heel. Now it is all about being healthy for the school season.”
Every team on Parker’s college wish list will undoubtedly be eagerly awaiting news updates on his foot. But for the rest of hoping to see perhaps the best prep player against perhaps the best singular prep athlete, that’ll have to wait. I just hope it happens before they’re both in the NBA.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M