Jul 17, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Lamar head coach Pat Knight has hired his former teammate at Indiana, Sherron Wilkerson, to serve on the Cardinals staff as an assistant coach, the school announced Tuesday.
Wilkerson has experience as an assistant at the collegiate level, having served as an assistant at Indiana University Southeast during the 2010-11 season, and grew to be friends with Knight during their playing days at Indiana.
“It’s important to get people who are loyal and who you can trust,” said Knight in a statement. “Sherron was a great teammate and a great player from me in the minor leagues. He is hungry and wants to get into the college game and all that adds up to a great hire.”
During his time at Indiana, Wilkerson was perhaps most known for being on the receiving end of a head-butt from head coach Bob Knight, an incident which Knight later called “accidental.”
Wilkerson was a McDonald’s All-American during his senior year of high school and, after his time at Indiana, went on to play basketball in Europe.
He also has ties to the AAU circuit, which will help Lamar on the recruiting front.
Wilkerson will be replacing Kenton Paulino, a Lamar assistant who left to take the same job at Fresno State this off-season.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)