Jul 17, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Lamar head coach Pat Knight has hired his former teammate at Indiana, Sherron Wilkerson, to serve on the Cardinals staff as an assistant coach, the school announced Tuesday.
Wilkerson has experience as an assistant at the collegiate level, having served as an assistant at Indiana University Southeast during the 2010-11 season, and grew to be friends with Knight during their playing days at Indiana.
“It’s important to get people who are loyal and who you can trust,” said Knight in a statement. “Sherron was a great teammate and a great player from me in the minor leagues. He is hungry and wants to get into the college game and all that adds up to a great hire.”
During his time at Indiana, Wilkerson was perhaps most known for being on the receiving end of a head-butt from head coach Bob Knight, an incident which Knight later called “accidental.”
Wilkerson was a McDonald’s All-American during his senior year of high school and, after his time at Indiana, went on to play basketball in Europe.
He also has ties to the AAU circuit, which will help Lamar on the recruiting front.
Wilkerson will be replacing Kenton Paulino, a Lamar assistant who left to take the same job at Fresno State this off-season.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)