Jul 17, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Lamar head coach Pat Knight has hired his former teammate at Indiana, Sherron Wilkerson, to serve on the Cardinals staff as an assistant coach, the school announced Tuesday.
Wilkerson has experience as an assistant at the collegiate level, having served as an assistant at Indiana University Southeast during the 2010-11 season, and grew to be friends with Knight during their playing days at Indiana.
“It’s important to get people who are loyal and who you can trust,” said Knight in a statement. “Sherron was a great teammate and a great player from me in the minor leagues. He is hungry and wants to get into the college game and all that adds up to a great hire.”
During his time at Indiana, Wilkerson was perhaps most known for being on the receiving end of a head-butt from head coach Bob Knight, an incident which Knight later called “accidental.”
Wilkerson was a McDonald’s All-American during his senior year of high school and, after his time at Indiana, went on to play basketball in Europe.
He also has ties to the AAU circuit, which will help Lamar on the recruiting front.
Wilkerson will be replacing Kenton Paulino, a Lamar assistant who left to take the same job at Fresno State this off-season.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 0
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 4
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 6
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)