Jul 17, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Lamar head coach Pat Knight has hired his former teammate at Indiana, Sherron Wilkerson, to serve on the Cardinals staff as an assistant coach, the school announced Tuesday.
Wilkerson has experience as an assistant at the collegiate level, having served as an assistant at Indiana University Southeast during the 2010-11 season, and grew to be friends with Knight during their playing days at Indiana.
“It’s important to get people who are loyal and who you can trust,” said Knight in a statement. “Sherron was a great teammate and a great player from me in the minor leagues. He is hungry and wants to get into the college game and all that adds up to a great hire.”
During his time at Indiana, Wilkerson was perhaps most known for being on the receiving end of a head-butt from head coach Bob Knight, an incident which Knight later called “accidental.”
Wilkerson was a McDonald’s All-American during his senior year of high school and, after his time at Indiana, went on to play basketball in Europe.
He also has ties to the AAU circuit, which will help Lamar on the recruiting front.
Wilkerson will be replacing Kenton Paulino, a Lamar assistant who left to take the same job at Fresno State this off-season.
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 5
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)