Jul 17, 2012, 3:48 PM EDT
Lamar head coach Pat Knight has hired his former teammate at Indiana, Sherron Wilkerson, to serve on the Cardinals staff as an assistant coach, the school announced Tuesday.
Wilkerson has experience as an assistant at the collegiate level, having served as an assistant at Indiana University Southeast during the 2010-11 season, and grew to be friends with Knight during their playing days at Indiana.
“It’s important to get people who are loyal and who you can trust,” said Knight in a statement. “Sherron was a great teammate and a great player from me in the minor leagues. He is hungry and wants to get into the college game and all that adds up to a great hire.”
During his time at Indiana, Wilkerson was perhaps most known for being on the receiving end of a head-butt from head coach Bob Knight, an incident which Knight later called “accidental.”
Wilkerson was a McDonald’s All-American during his senior year of high school and, after his time at Indiana, went on to play basketball in Europe.
He also has ties to the AAU circuit, which will help Lamar on the recruiting front.
Wilkerson will be replacing Kenton Paulino, a Lamar assistant who left to take the same job at Fresno State this off-season.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)