Jul 18, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
Clemson guard Devin Coleman has torn his Achilles tendon during a conditioning workout and will be out for 6-8 months, school officials announced Wednesday.
Coleman averaged 2.6 points and 1.3 rebounds per game last season for the Tigers and was expected to take on a more prominent role this upcoming season.
“It’s been an unfortunate offseason for Devin,” Clemson coach Brad Brownell said in a release. “He had just come off a hip/groin injury. It’s also tough because he finished last season on such a positive note, and had been shooting the ball very well this summer.
“We know Devin will attack his rehab with the right attitude, and we certainly wish him a speedy recovery,” he continued. “The other players at his position have to look at this as an opportunity to step up in his absence.”
If everything progresses as planned, it is still doubtful that Coleman could return before mid-January.
Clemson finished 16-15 this past season, including 8-8 in the ACC.
With seniors Andre Young and Tanner Smith graduating, Clemson will need to make up for the loss of its two top scorers from 2011-12, nearly 25 points per game.
The Tigers welcome a five-man recruiting class for the start of the 2012-13 season, led by 6-7 forward Jaron Blossomgame.
Follow Daniel Martin on Twitter: @DanielJMartin_
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 1
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights