Jul 18, 2012, 11:02 AM EDT
Former Bradley stand-out Adebayo Akinkunle was robbed of a car and more than $100,000 after being beaten by attackers in his Chicago home Monday, the Chicago Tribune is reporting.
According to the report, Akinkunle, 37, was pistol-whipped and had to be treated at a local hospital for a broken nose and cuts to his left wrist and head.
The attackers, who Akinkunle told police he did not know, then went on to take the sum of cash, 10 credit cards, two cell phones, and a closet safe, police said. They then fled in the Range Rover they had stolen from the home.
Akinkunle played two seasons at Bradley from 1994-98, averaging 15.4 points and 8.2 rebounds per game during the 1997-98 season. That year, he won Missouri Valley Defensive Player of the Year. He then went on to play professionally in Germany, China, and Japan before retiring in 2006.
The investigation into the alleged attack is still ongoing and, because of that, as the Journal-Star is reporting, details are scarce.
“There’s not much I can tell you about it because it is an ongoing investigation at this point,” Chicago police officer VeeJay Zala told the paper. “If we release details, it can sometimes impede an investigation.”
Photo Credit: Journal-Star
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five (2)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- Throwback Thursday: Juan Dixon and company win Maryland’s lone national title (2)
- Indiana head coach Tom Crean laments team’s lack of leadership (1)
- Former Butler forward Andrew Smith fighting cancer for second time (1)