Jul 18, 2012, 12:56 PM EDT
I guess this is the kind of thing guys do just because they have the chance to.
While most fans might name a cat or dog after their favorite player, Louisville head coach Rick Pitino had made it a habit of naming racehorses after some of his Cardinal players.
Smith averaged 11.4 points and 2.4 rebounds during the 2011-12 season, helping the Cardinals to a berth in the Final Four, and that’s apparently enough to get a racehorse named after you if you play for Pitino.
According to the horseracing news site BloodHorse.com, “Russdiculous” was purchased by Pitino for $145,000 on June 19 in Florida.
The horse will be trained by Dennis O’Neill, brother of Doug O’Neill, the trainer of Kentucky Derby winner I’ll Have Another.
This isn’t the first time Pitino has named horses after his players, though. As Mike Rutherford of CardChronicle.com points out, Pitino has had a hand in naming other horses, including one named “Gorgui,” after center Gorgui Dieng, and “Siva,” after guard Peyton Siva.
What might the personality of this horse be? Unpredictable? Fun? Perhaps capable of giving the head coach a set of bunny ears during an interview on live TV?
We can only hope.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte