Jul 19, 2012, 2:54 PM EST
Jared Terrell and Abdul-Malik Abu are not only teammates on Boston’s Expressions AAU team, but both players currently ranked in the top 75 in the Class of 2014.
Both Terrell, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard, and Abu, a 6-foot-8 forward, have offers pouring in and, well, their lists seem a bit similar. Providence, Iowa State, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Rhode Island, Temple. There is a reason for that, it turns out: Terrell and Abu are, more or less, a package deal.
“If a better situation comes along, we might have to part ways,” Terrell told NBCSports.com. “But for now, it’s what we want to do.”
Providence (Ed Cooley, Andre LaFleur), Rhode Island (both Hurley brothers) and Pitt (Brandon Knight) all checked out the duo on Thursday at Hoop Group’s Summer Classic East, a day after programs like Virginia, Virginia Tech (James Johnson), Maryland (Mark Turgeon) and North Carolina (Hubert Davis) gave them a look.
“We don’t want to hold each other back, but I bet we end up together,” Abu, who picked up an offer from Michigan State, said. Terrell also has offers from Miami, St. John’s and UConn.
While it’s unclear — and will be for a while — where these two will end up going to college, one thing that is for certain is that both players are well-schooled on how to handle the summer’s media attention.
Both players said, independently, “my recruitment’s wide-open.”
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)