Jul 19, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Jared Terrell and Abdul-Malik Abu are not only teammates on Boston’s Expressions AAU team, but both players currently ranked in the top 75 in the Class of 2014.
Both Terrell, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard, and Abu, a 6-foot-8 forward, have offers pouring in and, well, their lists seem a bit similar. Providence, Iowa State, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Rhode Island, Temple. There is a reason for that, it turns out: Terrell and Abu are, more or less, a package deal.
“If a better situation comes along, we might have to part ways,” Terrell told NBCSports.com. “But for now, it’s what we want to do.”
Providence (Ed Cooley, Andre LaFleur), Rhode Island (both Hurley brothers) and Pitt (Brandon Knight) all checked out the duo on Thursday at Hoop Group’s Summer Classic East, a day after programs like Virginia, Virginia Tech (James Johnson), Maryland (Mark Turgeon) and North Carolina (Hubert Davis) gave them a look.
“We don’t want to hold each other back, but I bet we end up together,” Abu, who picked up an offer from Michigan State, said. Terrell also has offers from Miami, St. John’s and UConn.
While it’s unclear — and will be for a while — where these two will end up going to college, one thing that is for certain is that both players are well-schooled on how to handle the summer’s media attention.
Both players said, independently, “my recruitment’s wide-open.”
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 3
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)