Jul 19, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
No one would blame you if you never heard the name Taurean Moy before.
Unless you’re from Memphis, where T-Head was once a living legend. Standing all of 5-foot-11, the stories of game when T-Head caught fire are still being told. Once, while playing for Booker T Washington High School, he scored 83 points while hitting 24 threes.
What happened to one of the best to ever come through a basketball-crazed town like Memphis?
Exactly what you would think. His grades were bad, his off-court behavior worse and, eventually, he flunked his way out of chances and ended up behind bars. When he was 21 years old, he slept with a 15 year old. He got three years. Most recently, Moy was given a 90 day jail sentence when he failed to register as a sex offender.
But the man is still talked about in Memphis basketball circles, so much so that a documentary is currently in the making. Here’s the trailer:
“I want to play basketball. I want to make it. I don’t want to just be some playground legend. I don’t think it’s too late.”
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 1
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him