Jul 20, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
In an announcement made on Friday by school president Dr. Luis M. Proenza and athletic director Tom Wistrcill, Akron and head coach Keith Dambrot have agreed to terms on a new ten-year contract.
Since the contract needs to be approved by the school’s Board of Trustees terms have not been released, but the contract is expected to go through the 2021-22 campaign.
Dambrot’s enjoyed a great deal of success in his eight seasons at Akron, posting a record of 184-87 and leading the Zips to seven straight 20-win seasons.
Akron is one of only 17 Division I programs to have such a streak, and they’re also one of just seven programs to average 22+ wins per season during that stretch.
Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State, Pittsburgh and Utah State are the other six.
“Keith is the best coach in the MAC and one of the top coaches in basketball,” Wistrcill said. “He has built the Zips into one of the top mid-major programs in the country and continues to lead his alma mater to new heights.
“This contract is not only a reward for his team’s performance over the past eight years, but a reflection of how the program continues to flourish. Our University and community are thrilled that he will continue to lead Zips basketball well into the future.”
Akron won their first regular season MAC title in six seasons last year, but fell to Ohio by a point (64-63) in the MAC tournament final.
The Zips do have to account for the loss of Nikola Cvetinovic and Bret McClanahan, but with senior center Zeke Marshall and every other key contributor due back Akron is more than capable of repeating as regular season champion.
In locking up the man responsible for the six postseason appearances in the last eight seasons, Akron has ensured that they’ll at the very least be a contender in the MAC for years to come.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)