Jul 20, 2012, 5:29 PM EST
In an announcement made on Friday by school president Dr. Luis M. Proenza and athletic director Tom Wistrcill, Akron and head coach Keith Dambrot have agreed to terms on a new ten-year contract.
Since the contract needs to be approved by the school’s Board of Trustees terms have not been released, but the contract is expected to go through the 2021-22 campaign.
Dambrot’s enjoyed a great deal of success in his eight seasons at Akron, posting a record of 184-87 and leading the Zips to seven straight 20-win seasons.
Akron is one of only 17 Division I programs to have such a streak, and they’re also one of just seven programs to average 22+ wins per season during that stretch.
Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State, Pittsburgh and Utah State are the other six.
“Keith is the best coach in the MAC and one of the top coaches in basketball,” Wistrcill said. “He has built the Zips into one of the top mid-major programs in the country and continues to lead his alma mater to new heights.
“This contract is not only a reward for his team’s performance over the past eight years, but a reflection of how the program continues to flourish. Our University and community are thrilled that he will continue to lead Zips basketball well into the future.”
Akron won their first regular season MAC title in six seasons last year, but fell to Ohio by a point (64-63) in the MAC tournament final.
The Zips do have to account for the loss of Nikola Cvetinovic and Bret McClanahan, but with senior center Zeke Marshall and every other key contributor due back Akron is more than capable of repeating as regular season champion.
In locking up the man responsible for the six postseason appearances in the last eight seasons, Akron has ensured that they’ll at the very least be a contender in the MAC for years to come.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 12
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)