Jul 20, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan picked up his second commitment in the 2013 class on Thursday morning, as Minnetonka (MN) native Riley Dearring verbally committed to the school.
Dearring, who stands at 6-5, averaged 14.5 points per game for Minnetonka High School last season and also held offers from Illinois State and Drake.
According to the story, Illinois and Clemson were among other schools that began to sniff around after Dearring played well during the first July open period.
“His confidence is at an all-time high right now,” said Marquise Watts, who coaches Dearring on the Net Gain Sports AAU team. “I think he’s putting everything together.”
In regards to Wisconsin’s 2013 class, Dearring joins point guard Bronson Koenig and they have the potential to be the Badgers’ back court of the future.
Apparently Dearring could have held out for more offers, but with he and his family convinced that Wisconsin was the right fit they saw no need to delay the decision.
“Me and my family, we talked about it a lot,” said Dearring, whose father grew up in Racine and is a first cousin to NBA player and Racine native Caron Butler. “We felt that Wisconsin was the best fit and we just thought it’d be the best situation and the best place for me. We felt, why wait any longer?”
Wisconsin had three starters from Minnesota on last year’s team (Taylor, Jared Berggren and Mike Bruesewitz), with Bruesewitz having been coached in high school by Dearring’s current high school coach Tom Dasovich.
Photo credit: 247Sports.com
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit