Jul 21, 2012, 3:00 AM EDT
VCU was already due to enter their first season of play in the Atlantic 10 with a great deal of depth on the perimeter.
Shaka Smart’s Rams became even deeper on the perimeter on Friday as Melvin Johnson, formerly a Miami signee, committed to the program.
Johnson, a 6-3 guard from the Bronx, fits into the Rams’ “Havoc” system perfectly.
He’s a quick guard who can get to the basket off the dribble while also being able to knock down perimeter shots, and is also athletic enough to guard multiple positions on the perimeter. .
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv Johnson was released from his letter of intent by Miami over an issue with his test scores, but St. Benedict’s head coach Mark Taylor told Zagoria that Johnson is “fully qualified.”
In an article in the New York Post on the day Johnson was released by Miami, Johnson’s mother told the Post that he has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.
The Rams went 29-7 (15-3 CAA) last season, falling to Indiana in the round of 32.
VCU made the immediate move to the Atlantic 10 due to a CAA rule prohibiting departing members from winning the league’s automatic NCAA bid.
And just like Butler, who moves from the Horizon League to the A-10, the Rams will be equipped to compete immediately in regards to both their depth and talent.
On the perimeter Johnson joins the likes of Rob Brandenburg, Troy Daniels, Treveon Graham and Darius Theus.
VCU does have to account for the graduation of the versatile Bradford Burgess, but with all of their other key contributors back Coach Smart’s “Havoc” system is more than capable of turning heads in the new league.
Johnson joins Mo Alie-Cox, Jordan Burgess and Justin Tuoyo in the Rams’ 2012 class, with Burgess (Bradford’s little brother) being another possible contributor on the perimeter.
Photo credit: An Rong Xu
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)