Jul 21, 2012, 3:00 AM EDT
VCU was already due to enter their first season of play in the Atlantic 10 with a great deal of depth on the perimeter.
Shaka Smart’s Rams became even deeper on the perimeter on Friday as Melvin Johnson, formerly a Miami signee, committed to the program.
Johnson, a 6-3 guard from the Bronx, fits into the Rams’ “Havoc” system perfectly.
He’s a quick guard who can get to the basket off the dribble while also being able to knock down perimeter shots, and is also athletic enough to guard multiple positions on the perimeter. .
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv Johnson was released from his letter of intent by Miami over an issue with his test scores, but St. Benedict’s head coach Mark Taylor told Zagoria that Johnson is “fully qualified.”
In an article in the New York Post on the day Johnson was released by Miami, Johnson’s mother told the Post that he has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.
The Rams went 29-7 (15-3 CAA) last season, falling to Indiana in the round of 32.
VCU made the immediate move to the Atlantic 10 due to a CAA rule prohibiting departing members from winning the league’s automatic NCAA bid.
And just like Butler, who moves from the Horizon League to the A-10, the Rams will be equipped to compete immediately in regards to both their depth and talent.
On the perimeter Johnson joins the likes of Rob Brandenburg, Troy Daniels, Treveon Graham and Darius Theus.
VCU does have to account for the graduation of the versatile Bradford Burgess, but with all of their other key contributors back Coach Smart’s “Havoc” system is more than capable of turning heads in the new league.
Johnson joins Mo Alie-Cox, Jordan Burgess and Justin Tuoyo in the Rams’ 2012 class, with Burgess (Bradford’s little brother) being another possible contributor on the perimeter.
Photo credit: An Rong Xu
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)