Jul 21, 2012, 3:00 AM EDT
VCU was already due to enter their first season of play in the Atlantic 10 with a great deal of depth on the perimeter.
Shaka Smart’s Rams became even deeper on the perimeter on Friday as Melvin Johnson, formerly a Miami signee, committed to the program.
Johnson, a 6-3 guard from the Bronx, fits into the Rams’ “Havoc” system perfectly.
He’s a quick guard who can get to the basket off the dribble while also being able to knock down perimeter shots, and is also athletic enough to guard multiple positions on the perimeter. .
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv Johnson was released from his letter of intent by Miami over an issue with his test scores, but St. Benedict’s head coach Mark Taylor told Zagoria that Johnson is “fully qualified.”
In an article in the New York Post on the day Johnson was released by Miami, Johnson’s mother told the Post that he has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.
The Rams went 29-7 (15-3 CAA) last season, falling to Indiana in the round of 32.
VCU made the immediate move to the Atlantic 10 due to a CAA rule prohibiting departing members from winning the league’s automatic NCAA bid.
And just like Butler, who moves from the Horizon League to the A-10, the Rams will be equipped to compete immediately in regards to both their depth and talent.
On the perimeter Johnson joins the likes of Rob Brandenburg, Troy Daniels, Treveon Graham and Darius Theus.
VCU does have to account for the graduation of the versatile Bradford Burgess, but with all of their other key contributors back Coach Smart’s “Havoc” system is more than capable of turning heads in the new league.
Johnson joins Mo Alie-Cox, Jordan Burgess and Justin Tuoyo in the Rams’ 2012 class, with Burgess (Bradford’s little brother) being another possible contributor on the perimeter.
Photo credit: An Rong Xu
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)