Jul 21, 2012, 3:00 AM EST
VCU was already due to enter their first season of play in the Atlantic 10 with a great deal of depth on the perimeter.
Shaka Smart’s Rams became even deeper on the perimeter on Friday as Melvin Johnson, formerly a Miami signee, committed to the program.
Johnson, a 6-3 guard from the Bronx, fits into the Rams’ “Havoc” system perfectly.
He’s a quick guard who can get to the basket off the dribble while also being able to knock down perimeter shots, and is also athletic enough to guard multiple positions on the perimeter. .
According to Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv Johnson was released from his letter of intent by Miami over an issue with his test scores, but St. Benedict’s head coach Mark Taylor told Zagoria that Johnson is “fully qualified.”
In an article in the New York Post on the day Johnson was released by Miami, Johnson’s mother told the Post that he has been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse.
The Rams went 29-7 (15-3 CAA) last season, falling to Indiana in the round of 32.
VCU made the immediate move to the Atlantic 10 due to a CAA rule prohibiting departing members from winning the league’s automatic NCAA bid.
And just like Butler, who moves from the Horizon League to the A-10, the Rams will be equipped to compete immediately in regards to both their depth and talent.
On the perimeter Johnson joins the likes of Rob Brandenburg, Troy Daniels, Treveon Graham and Darius Theus.
VCU does have to account for the graduation of the versatile Bradford Burgess, but with all of their other key contributors back Coach Smart’s “Havoc” system is more than capable of turning heads in the new league.
Johnson joins Mo Alie-Cox, Jordan Burgess and Justin Tuoyo in the Rams’ 2012 class, with Burgess (Bradford’s little brother) being another possible contributor on the perimeter.
Photo credit: An Rong Xu
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)