Jul 22, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
In one of the more creative college commitments in recent years, Top 10 2013 forward Chris Walker pledged his name to Florida via a YouTube video posted to his Twitter page.
“I will be playing basketball at the University of Florida,” Walker says in the video. “I will be teaming up with my teammate from the AAU squad, Kasey Hill, and together we’ll be the best duo in college and will win a national championship.
“You heard it here first.”
The 6-10, 195-pound Walker is a native of Bonifay, Fla., located about an hour and a half from the state’s capital, Tallahassee.
Walker joins Hill, another Top 20 player, to make a strong recruiting class for Billy Donovan and the Gators. Commitments from these two Florida natives means Donovan is taking full advantage of the available recruits in his backyard in 2013.
Walker helps to balance out the guard-heavy 2012 recruiting class which is compromised of four guards, led by North Carolina native Braxton Ogbueze.
The Gators finished 26-11 last season, including 10-6 in the SEC. Last season’s star, guard Brad Beal, left for the NBA draft, leaving the Gators with a need to fill a gap of 14.6 points and 6.5 rebounds per game.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut