Jul 22, 2012, 11:52 PM EDT
At the end of May first-year Illinois State head coach Dan Muller signed his first player as a head coach in Canadian guard Kaza Keane.
According to multiple outlets, Sunday brought the first verbal commit of the 2013 class as Proviso East guard Paris Lee committed to Illinois State.
Lee, a 5-10 left-handed point guard, helped lead Proviso East to an Illinois Class 4A state runner-up finish last season and plays his AAU basketball with the famous Mac Irvin Fire.
“I like to bring energy,” remarked Lee to Jim Benson of the Bloomington Pantagraph. “Defense gets me started. When I’m in the game I’m not looking to score. I like to defend first and if the shot comes it does … but, trust me, I can knock down open shots.”
Lee averaged 12 points per game for Proviso East, and in five games at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam this weekend averaged 9.6 points, 2.8 assists and 2.6 steals per game.
Those Peach Jam averages were all improvements when compared to his numbers through the first four rounds of play, in which he averaged 6.3 points, 1.4 assists and 1.3 steals per contest.
According to the Pantagraph, Lee also held offers from Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, Western Michigan and Loyola (IL).
With Nic Moore transferring to SMU the Redbirds needed reinforcements at the point, and with the additions of Keane and now Lee they’ve added two needed pieces.
Photo credit: Darrell Goemaat/Chicago Tribune
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)