Jul 22, 2012, 11:52 PM EDT
At the end of May first-year Illinois State head coach Dan Muller signed his first player as a head coach in Canadian guard Kaza Keane.
According to multiple outlets, Sunday brought the first verbal commit of the 2013 class as Proviso East guard Paris Lee committed to Illinois State.
Lee, a 5-10 left-handed point guard, helped lead Proviso East to an Illinois Class 4A state runner-up finish last season and plays his AAU basketball with the famous Mac Irvin Fire.
“I like to bring energy,” remarked Lee to Jim Benson of the Bloomington Pantagraph. “Defense gets me started. When I’m in the game I’m not looking to score. I like to defend first and if the shot comes it does … but, trust me, I can knock down open shots.”
Lee averaged 12 points per game for Proviso East, and in five games at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam this weekend averaged 9.6 points, 2.8 assists and 2.6 steals per game.
Those Peach Jam averages were all improvements when compared to his numbers through the first four rounds of play, in which he averaged 6.3 points, 1.4 assists and 1.3 steals per contest.
According to the Pantagraph, Lee also held offers from Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, Western Michigan and Loyola (IL).
With Nic Moore transferring to SMU the Redbirds needed reinforcements at the point, and with the additions of Keane and now Lee they’ve added two needed pieces.
Photo credit: Darrell Goemaat/Chicago Tribune
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- ACC releases its full conference schedule (2)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)