Jul 22, 2012, 11:52 PM EDT
At the end of May first-year Illinois State head coach Dan Muller signed his first player as a head coach in Canadian guard Kaza Keane.
According to multiple outlets, Sunday brought the first verbal commit of the 2013 class as Proviso East guard Paris Lee committed to Illinois State.
Lee, a 5-10 left-handed point guard, helped lead Proviso East to an Illinois Class 4A state runner-up finish last season and plays his AAU basketball with the famous Mac Irvin Fire.
“I like to bring energy,” remarked Lee to Jim Benson of the Bloomington Pantagraph. “Defense gets me started. When I’m in the game I’m not looking to score. I like to defend first and if the shot comes it does … but, trust me, I can knock down open shots.”
Lee averaged 12 points per game for Proviso East, and in five games at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam this weekend averaged 9.6 points, 2.8 assists and 2.6 steals per game.
Those Peach Jam averages were all improvements when compared to his numbers through the first four rounds of play, in which he averaged 6.3 points, 1.4 assists and 1.3 steals per contest.
According to the Pantagraph, Lee also held offers from Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, Western Michigan and Loyola (IL).
With Nic Moore transferring to SMU the Redbirds needed reinforcements at the point, and with the additions of Keane and now Lee they’ve added two needed pieces.
Photo credit: Darrell Goemaat/Chicago Tribune
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)