Jul 22, 2012, 11:52 PM EST
At the end of May first-year Illinois State head coach Dan Muller signed his first player as a head coach in Canadian guard Kaza Keane.
According to multiple outlets, Sunday brought the first verbal commit of the 2013 class as Proviso East guard Paris Lee committed to Illinois State.
Lee, a 5-10 left-handed point guard, helped lead Proviso East to an Illinois Class 4A state runner-up finish last season and plays his AAU basketball with the famous Mac Irvin Fire.
“I like to bring energy,” remarked Lee to Jim Benson of the Bloomington Pantagraph. “Defense gets me started. When I’m in the game I’m not looking to score. I like to defend first and if the shot comes it does … but, trust me, I can knock down open shots.”
Lee averaged 12 points per game for Proviso East, and in five games at the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam this weekend averaged 9.6 points, 2.8 assists and 2.6 steals per game.
Those Peach Jam averages were all improvements when compared to his numbers through the first four rounds of play, in which he averaged 6.3 points, 1.4 assists and 1.3 steals per contest.
According to the Pantagraph, Lee also held offers from Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois, Western Michigan and Loyola (IL).
With Nic Moore transferring to SMU the Redbirds needed reinforcements at the point, and with the additions of Keane and now Lee they’ve added two needed pieces.
Photo credit: Darrell Goemaat/Chicago Tribune
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)