Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
On Sunday morning at 8 am, Chris Walker — a top ten recruit in the Class of 2013 — posted a video to youtube to announce that he would be committing to Billy Donovan at Florida.
In the video, Walker all-but guaranteed that he would win a national title while at Florida if you consider “We will win a national championship” all-but a guarantee. Guaranteeing a win in anything is always a bad decision, particularly when the game you are guaranteeing a win in won’t take place for 20 months and especially when John Calipari’s recruiting class for that season could feasibly be Andrew Wiggins, the Harrison twins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon and James Young.
That said, it is worth noting that Florida has a chance to be pretty good in their own right.
By then, Erik Murphy, Kenny Boynton and Mike Rosario will have graduated while Patric Young will, in all likelihood, have made his way to the NBA Draft. But transfers Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith will become eligible in 2013, combining with Walker to give the Gators a very good core along their front line. Throw in then-seniors Scottie Wilbekin and Will Yeguete, a highly-regarded class of four perimeter players in the Class of 2012, another top ten recruit in the Class of 2013 in point guard Kasey Hill and whoever else Donovan can land while recruiting in 2013, and … well, maybe what Walker said isn’t so outlandish after all.
It is way, way (way, way, way) too soon to start talking about favorites for the 2014 national title.
But when that time does come, don’t be surprised if Florida is in the mix.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)