Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 AM EST
On Sunday morning at 8 am, Chris Walker — a top ten recruit in the Class of 2013 — posted a video to youtube to announce that he would be committing to Billy Donovan at Florida.
In the video, Walker all-but guaranteed that he would win a national title while at Florida if you consider “We will win a national championship” all-but a guarantee. Guaranteeing a win in anything is always a bad decision, particularly when the game you are guaranteeing a win in won’t take place for 20 months and especially when John Calipari’s recruiting class for that season could feasibly be Andrew Wiggins, the Harrison twins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon and James Young.
That said, it is worth noting that Florida has a chance to be pretty good in their own right.
By then, Erik Murphy, Kenny Boynton and Mike Rosario will have graduated while Patric Young will, in all likelihood, have made his way to the NBA Draft. But transfers Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith will become eligible in 2013, combining with Walker to give the Gators a very good core along their front line. Throw in then-seniors Scottie Wilbekin and Will Yeguete, a highly-regarded class of four perimeter players in the Class of 2012, another top ten recruit in the Class of 2013 in point guard Kasey Hill and whoever else Donovan can land while recruiting in 2013, and … well, maybe what Walker said isn’t so outlandish after all.
It is way, way (way, way, way) too soon to start talking about favorites for the 2014 national title.
But when that time does come, don’t be surprised if Florida is in the mix.
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 5
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)