Jul 23, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
On Sunday morning at 8 am, Chris Walker — a top ten recruit in the Class of 2013 — posted a video to youtube to announce that he would be committing to Billy Donovan at Florida.
In the video, Walker all-but guaranteed that he would win a national title while at Florida if you consider “We will win a national championship” all-but a guarantee. Guaranteeing a win in anything is always a bad decision, particularly when the game you are guaranteeing a win in won’t take place for 20 months and especially when John Calipari’s recruiting class for that season could feasibly be Andrew Wiggins, the Harrison twins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon and James Young.
That said, it is worth noting that Florida has a chance to be pretty good in their own right.
By then, Erik Murphy, Kenny Boynton and Mike Rosario will have graduated while Patric Young will, in all likelihood, have made his way to the NBA Draft. But transfers Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith will become eligible in 2013, combining with Walker to give the Gators a very good core along their front line. Throw in then-seniors Scottie Wilbekin and Will Yeguete, a highly-regarded class of four perimeter players in the Class of 2012, another top ten recruit in the Class of 2013 in point guard Kasey Hill and whoever else Donovan can land while recruiting in 2013, and … well, maybe what Walker said isn’t so outlandish after all.
It is way, way (way, way, way) too soon to start talking about favorites for the 2014 national title.
But when that time does come, don’t be surprised if Florida is in the mix.
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- UConn lands former Seton Hall guard Sterling Gibbs, eligible immediately 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)