Jul 23, 2012, 11:01 AM EDT
If it wasn’t already a consensus, it is now: Andrew Wiggins is the best high school basketball player in the country.
The native-Canadian led CIA Bounce to the Peach Jam title game a week after leading Team Canada to the final at the Nike Global Challenge. But in summer basketball, the wins and losses matter less than what you do on the floor, and what Wiggins can do on a basketball court is unmatched nationally.
The Class of 2014 forward is one of the best athletes in the class. He’s got length on his 6-foot-7 frame and he not only can score in a variety of ways — attacking the rim, transition, beyond the arc, mid-range pull-ups, in the post — but he’s a terrific defender as well.
At this point, most people believe that Wiggins is a better prospect — and a better player — than Chicago’s Jabari Parker, a member of the Class of 2013. (Believe it or not, Wiggins, who is technically a year behind Parker, is actually older than him. There is speculation that Wiggins will reclassify to 2013.) While a toe-injury kept Parker out of the Peach Jam — and prevented a matchup between the nation’s two best high school players — observers did get a classic matchup out of Wiggins and Julius Randle, who is making a push for the title of top prospect in the Class of 2013:
(Photo credit: Getty Images)
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)