Jul 23, 2012, 2:40 PM EDT
Craig Morgan of FOXSports Arizona penned an interesting story over the weekend about Jordan Bachynski.
Bachynski is the Sun Devil’s 7-foot-2 center that just so happens to be Mormon. Bachynski took a Mormon mission to Miami, where he spent two years in some rough, spanish-speaking neighborhoods in an effort to share his faith.
And as you might imagine, this led to some interesting interactions with the locals:
While Bachynski remained open to everyone he met, not everyone was receptive to his testimony.
“I remember talking to people and have them just go off on me — get really rude and mean,” Bachynski said. “Some of the things they said I had to look up in a Spanish dictionary, because I didn’t know what they meant. I actually got an urban dictionary to understand some of the things they were saying. My vocabulary definitely grew.”
Once in a while, he’d connect. One man turned his life around, joined the church and eventually persuaded his skeptical and critical mother to join as well. Another left a prominent and violent gang to do the same.
“Those are the moments that make it all worth it — all the spitting in your face and the door slamming and the long days where no one listens to you,” he said.
Sounds less than ideal, but, as Bachynski told Kyle Odegard of the Easy Valley Tribune, it’s something that he has always looked forward too and will always remember.
“Going on a mission is not an easy thing,” Bachynski said. “It’s not just putting basketball on hold, it’s putting life on hold. We don’t get to date. I only got to call my parents four times over two years. But you learn life lessons that are invaluable and you meet people that change your life. Leaving basketball — and I love the sport — was not an easy thing to do, but I wouldn’t trade my mission experiences for anything.”
Bachynski seems like a very likeable kid, but that is far from the most interesting part of his story.
According to Morgan, Bachynski has size 14 feet. As someone that is 7-foot-2. That just seems so disproportional. By comparison, Shaq wears size 23 shoes.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (24)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)