Jul 23, 2012, 9:01 PM EDT
Bob Knight was such a good coach at Indiana, he’s going in the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame.
Knight, who won three NCAA tournament titles with the Hoosiers and retired as college basketball’s all-time winningest coach (his protégé, Mike Krzyzewski passed him last season) with a 902-371 record, was a reserve forward for Buckeyes from 1960-‘62. He was there when they won it all in ’60 and for repeat appearances in the title game the next two years on a team that featured John Havlicek and Jerry Lucas.
But he did graduate in ’62 with a degree in history and government, making him an alum. So the Hall of Fame created a “lifetime achievement” category this year, the school announced last week. Knight’ll be the first inducted under that definition.
So just forget about the whole Indiana aspect. The Buckeyes are claiming him as their own.
“Our basketball program is thrilled with this recognition of coach Knight,” Matta told the Columbus Dispatch. “I know being inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame this year is something that will mean a great deal to him.”
Knight is already a member of the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame and the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. So what’s one more?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)