Jul 23, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
It took a year, but Tubby Smith finally got his contract extension.
Smith, 61, had been discussing an extension at the end of last season, when it reportedly had been imminent. Once new Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi got settled, they worked out the details: three more years, keeping him with the Gophers through the 2016-17 season.
“We are excited about the extension and know that the University of Minnesota is the right place for us,” Smith said in a statement. “I am focused on reaching our full potential as a program. That is why we came here five years ago and it is still our goal.”
Minnesota reached the NIT title game last season and went 23-15 overall. But the Gophers were just 6-12 in the Big Ten, the second consecutive season they’ve done that. He’s 38-49 in the Big Ten. Maybe those were more hitches in the negations.
Still, he’s 103-64 in five seasons, including two NCAA tournament berths. Considering where the Gophers were before he arrived, the extension makes sense.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)