Jul 23, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
It took a year, but Tubby Smith finally got his contract extension.
Smith, 61, had been discussing an extension at the end of last season, when it reportedly had been imminent. Once new Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi got settled, they worked out the details: three more years, keeping him with the Gophers through the 2016-17 season.
“We are excited about the extension and know that the University of Minnesota is the right place for us,” Smith said in a statement. “I am focused on reaching our full potential as a program. That is why we came here five years ago and it is still our goal.”
Minnesota reached the NIT title game last season and went 23-15 overall. But the Gophers were just 6-12 in the Big Ten, the second consecutive season they’ve done that. He’s 38-49 in the Big Ten. Maybe those were more hitches in the negations.
Still, he’s 103-64 in five seasons, including two NCAA tournament berths. Considering where the Gophers were before he arrived, the extension makes sense.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)