Jul 23, 2012, 6:26 PM EST
It took a year, but Tubby Smith finally got his contract extension.
Smith, 61, had been discussing an extension at the end of last season, when it reportedly had been imminent. Once new Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi got settled, they worked out the details: three more years, keeping him with the Gophers through the 2016-17 season.
“We are excited about the extension and know that the University of Minnesota is the right place for us,” Smith said in a statement. “I am focused on reaching our full potential as a program. That is why we came here five years ago and it is still our goal.”
Minnesota reached the NIT title game last season and went 23-15 overall. But the Gophers were just 6-12 in the Big Ten, the second consecutive season they’ve done that. He’s 38-49 in the Big Ten. Maybe those were more hitches in the negations.
Still, he’s 103-64 in five seasons, including two NCAA tournament berths. Considering where the Gophers were before he arrived, the extension makes sense.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)