Jul 24, 2012, 9:56 PM EST
Rick Ray knew that taking the Mississippi State was was going to be a rebuilding process.
Dee Bost graduated. Arnett Moultrie was a first round pick in the NBA Draft. Renardo Sidney left school and didn’t get drafted. Rodney Hood transferred to Duke. DeVille Smith left school in March. What he was left with was a roster that returned just five players — only two of whom (guard Jalen Steele and big man Wendell Lewis) contributed at all last season — and featured seven newcomers.
Well, on Monday, Ray’s tough task got even more difficult, as Jacoby Davis — a freshman from St. John’s Military Academy in Wisconsin — tore his ACL in a team workout. Davis was slated to be the starter at the point for the Bulldogs this season.
“As a coach, you always hate to see this happen,” Ray said in a statement. “But Jacoby is a tough kid and I know he’ll bounce back from this injury.”
Davis probably wasn’t going to be an instant replacement for Bost, the university’s all-time assists leader, anyway. He signed with North Florida out of high school before deciding to enroll in prep school. And for Davis, there may be a silver lining to this injury: he’ll be around Starkville for five years now. Assuming Ray can get the program up and running, that means he’ll be playing more minutes when the team is better. It’s not much of a consolation prize, but it only helps to look at the bright side when you’re dealing with a torn ACL.
As of now, the only point guard on MSU’s roster is Trivante Bloodman, who spent his freshman season at a JuCo in Illinois.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)